𝟎𝟗

It wasn't long before that fateful day of the Family Interview arrived. Y/n was happy to be able to dress up a little, but opted for something comfortable but appropriate for the interview.

Kilian was super excited the night before, so much so that he could hardly even sleep until y/n made him a cup of tea and sat with him on the couch.

Imagine Yuri's shock and misery when he finds his wife sleeping soundly on the couch, cradling little Kilian instead of Yuri! Ugh, the kid was doing this on purpose.

Two hours of preparation later, the Briar Family was walking onto Eden Academy's Campus together.

Kilian was clinging to y/n's clothing, staying close to her as he nervously eyed the other families around them.

This looked rather familiar.

An old memory came to mind, one from many years ago back when y/n was just a little six year old like him. Except... she wasn't the nervous one.

It'd been Achille who was looking around like a frightened rabbit, e/c eyes darting from person to person as he seemingly scanned the area for enemies.

They had attended a meeting with their Father to visit some friends, a meeting which y/n now knew had been a meeting with their Father a close business partner.

Y/n and Achille knew him then as Uncle Gram.

Achille, eleven at the time, was still as anxious about being around lots of people as ever. He constantly scanned the area for danger, and would freeze up whenever he had to speak with someone he wasn't familiar with.

Y/n typically spoke up for him until he recovered from his initial shock, but Kilian wasn't a socially awkward eleven year old boy. He was a six year old who had a pretty rough time during his last three years of life, and y/n was going to provide him the comfort he needed to stand up on his own!

Independence was important for children. You need to give them freedom to learn things themselves, but also provide aid and a shoulder to lean on when needed. Just a little nudge could go a long way!

'That's what the book said, at least.' y/n thought with a weary exhale before resting a hand on the boy's head.

He looked up at her with round grey eyes, and felt himself relax a little at the reassuring smile on his Aunt's face.

"There's no need to be nervous, Kil, everything will be fine." y/n assured him, "How about we do something to take your mind off of it?"

"Counting prime numbers!" Kilian declared before giving Yuri a sour look, "You can join if you want, I guess..."

"I-!" Yuri glowered at the little kid, "You don't have to sound so reluctant about it! So rude..."

As Kilian and y/n began to take turns listing prime numbers, the young woman's gaze flicked up to the windows in one of the buildings as her eyes narrowed.

There were people watching them, observing them as they made their way through the campus. Huh, so the Family Interview had already started in a way. That was fine, y/n understood.

She wasn't worried either.

Whatever tests they'd throw at them, they'd be sure to pass. Y/n's main priority was making sure that Kilian was as comfortable as possible.

"Hey, you stepped on my toe!" Yuri snapped.

"Maybe you should've kept walking ahead instead of trying to get in my Aunt's personal space, pervert!" Kilian retorted sharply, grabbing onto y/n's hand with a little scowl.

'Nevermind. I'll be sure to ask Laurence to look for a suitable teacher so Kil can learn at home.' y/n thought, shedding a single tear as her husband and nephew began to bicker.