𝟏𝟎

Yuri still hadn't returned by the time the interview began, leaving Kilian and Y/n to enter together.

Kilian didn't mind Yuri's absence, although he was a little concerned, but found himself feeling ten times more nervous than before.

The little boy sat awkwardly in the seat which was between the couch which threw interviewers from Eden Academy sat in and the couch y/n sat on.

Kilian wanted to sit next to his Aunt and hold her hand, but figured it'd be more appropriate to sit a distance away. To give off the impression that he was independent.

Which he was!

Kind of.

'Auntieeee...' Kilian's eyes were burning as he fought off tears, 'I hate it here, I wanna go homeee!!!'

"Good Morning to you both." one of the three men greeted, a soft and friendly looking gentleman with glasses was the first to speak, "Miss Y/n Briar and Kilian Briar, right? Will your husband not be attending?"

Y/n opened her mouth to reply but was rudely interrupted when the pompous man in the middle *the one who's receding hairline had y/n internally shrieking, "You do realize that both parents are supposed to attend the interview, correct? Since your husband isn't here, you may as well see yourself out now!"

"With all due respect, my husband is here. He was injured when your animals got free and ran rampant around the campus." y/n replied sharply, a bit of an irritated edge to her tone, "He's currently being tended to. My husband is a strong man, so I have no doubt that he'll be joining us soon, but it'll just be me for now."

The receding hairline man 'tsk'ed while the friendly looking guy and the man with the little round spectacle bowed their heads with a, "We sincerely apologize for what happened to your husband, Miss Briar. It was a mistake on our part, allowing such an accident to occur."

"No worries, Yuri should be just fine!" y/n exclaimed but Kilian could tell she was very worried from the slight change in the pitch of her voice when she said 'fine'.

"Well then, I'll begin with asking you some questions about Kilian? It says here that you're actually his Aunt, correct? Can you tell us what your nephew's upbringing was like?"

"Yes, he's my older brother's son." y/n confirmed with a nod, "Since he passed away a couple years ago, I've raised Kilian instead. It's definitely been an experience, but Kilian is a lot like my brother. Raising him has been like interacting with a smaller version of my brother! Kilian is a very anxious child, so he likes to be close very often, but he does enjoy engaging activities like puzzles, and he is an avid reader! He's not a picky child, but he does have standards that are a little shocking to me, haha!"

"So his Father died? What happened to his mother? Why is he under your care and not hers?" the receding hairline man questioned, "Shouldn't he be living with her? You do look far too young to be raising a child, not at all capable of it either!"

Kilian clasped his hands together with an unsettled look, staring down at his lap. Y/n noticed from the corner of her eye, frowning a little before replying.

"It's unusual, hearing a man like yourself talk about capability when raising a child." y/n muttered that piece under her breath before continuing, "That's our own personal business. His mother is alive and well," 'Unfortunately' "But she's no longer part of the family."

"That doesn't explain anything-!"

"Excuse me, but since when was that any of your business?" y/n challenged, "I told you all you need to know, so please quit asking. You're making my nephew uncomfortable."'Is this place really supposed to be a prestigious school? Seems like a place for narcissists to grow even bigger noses.'