Chapter 39 | Unwavering Loyalty and Corruption

The morning light was disappearing the further inside the cave she got

Pulling the sled behind her, the transition from snow to stone made it scrape against the cave floors. Selene winced at the sound before noticing a particular wolf had similar feelings.

Suddenly stopping, the large white wolf turned and walked toward her- using its muzzle to nudge the sled.

Leave it behind.

With a nod of understanding, Selene lifted her goggles to rest on her forehead and unwrapped the ropes from around her armpits. She pushed the sled behind two large rocks in hopes that no animals would try poking into her food stash. The food was for the cub- who was undoubtedly suffering from hunger.

Lowering her scarf from her face, the platinum-haired woman dusted off her gloves and nodded at the wolf.

The pale duo continued further into the cave.

It reached a point where it was nearly impossible to see in the cave. Selene stumbled over a rock, almost falling over, but remained upright. She breathed a shaky sigh.

Looking up, she couldn't help but notice a tall torch in the distance.

It stood upright, with three large rocks keeping it in place. It was slightly tilted toward the right, its bright orange flame flickering and creating dancing shadows along the walls of the old cave. Its head was turning black from how long it had burned.

Slowing down, the white wolf lets Selene catch up. When it continued walking, though, the canine stayed firmly beside Selene.

There's something dangerous in there.

Passing through a smaller passage in the cave, they happened upon a large room.

Tall wooden torches were lined up along the walls of the round room of the cave. Stalagmites jetted from the ceiling and floors with red clothes wrapped around them.

Hanging from a few stalagmites were ropes tied to small wooden discs. These discs slightly danced, wavering around in circles, but on both sides were the crude red drawings of a fleur-de-lis while others had drawings of eyes with slit pupils.

Against a wall was a large platform made from old wood. Half of it was rotting, and mushrooms were growing from its mushy structure.

On top of this structure was something that nearly made her hurl.

Bugs flew around the massive corpse of a decapitated wolf lying on its side. It's fur was white, though part of it had either fallen off during the decomposition process or was never there in the first place.

Stemming from the decapitated head was the rotting corpse of a female human. Her body was twisted sideways, her back resting against the wooden platform with her head sideways facing the steps to the corpse.