Law 13: When asking for help, appeal to people's self-interest...

...never to their mercy or gratitude. When you need something from someone, don't remind them of your relationship or how you've helped them in the past, because they will likely ignore you. Instead, spin it so they see what they can get out of it.

Application -

People practice self-interest to get into power, so it's no wonder that they still maintain self-interest while in power. For example, politicians will abandon the people that put them into power and go against their promises. And famous people will start charities because they want to bolster their image. Self-interest is composed of many different motivations. Obviously, there is fame and greed, but also the need to appear smart, cultured, charitable, well-liked, and more.

When asking someone for help, it's best to learn what motivates them so you can speak to that directly. For example, if you want a raise, and your boss likes to be seen as smart, butter them up and ask them for mentorship. If they want to be well-liked, then you need to build a personal relationship with them. The key is to watch and know what motivates the person you are dealing with.

Somebody's trash is another person's promotion -

An old boss of mine used to complain about her job. Her main complaint was that the COO would pass down his responsibilities to her because they were tasks he didn't want to do himself. I could see her point of view. Who would want to do someone else's undesirable work? Besides, she had been there a while and was ready to move on.

After she left, I partially stepped into her role. I was the recipient of the work my boss used to hate, but it was new to me so I didn't mind. Because of this, I was able to negotiate a good raise that year.

Looking back, it makes sense; the COO was acting on self-interest and my boss was promoted consistently as a result. Passing down the work made the life of the COO easier, and he was motivated to keep his employee happy in the role. Don't be surprised if your superiors pass down the work they hate; just think of it as a way of keeping them dependent on you. It could be time to swallow your pride and see it as an opportunity.