Shattered Windows

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"Iris! IRIS!"

A distant voice was calling her name, an echo through the dark bringing her back from the depths of her consciousness.

Her eyes snapped open wide as she looked around frantically trying to recall where she was.

"I-I... I thought I saw..."

She was taking in rapid heavy breaths as she felt like there was a massive weight on her chest, making it hard for her to breathe.

"Iris, honey, you're okay, you're safe." It was Queenie, sounding very worried.

Iris' head was pounding as her breathing slowly calmed down. She stared across the hallway in front of her, at the shattered window fragments which were, like her thoughts, scattered everywhere.

"Oh, Queenie... that was awful," Iris whispered to her friend and mentor.

The older woman nodded in understanding, "But the voices, you can't hear them anymore, can you?"

Iris shook her head, relieved with the freedom of a clear mind.

"And now? You can find Professor McGonagall," Queenie questioned, already knowing the answer.

Iris hesitated, scared of being sucked in again.

"I'll be right here the whole time, you don't need to be afraid," Queenie reassured her.

Iris only had to focus for a second before she could connect with her Professor, something that had never happened so quickly before.

It was like her eyes had been opened. A simpler way of approaching her ability, it was like she was drifting on a cloud, swaying through minds with ease.

She was still in her own body but could see clearly through the minds of those around her. It was peaceful, serene.

Iris felt something hot on her upper lip, something shaking her arm, trying to get her to snap back.

The fog in her eyes cleared as she automatically reached up to wipe under her nose.

A trickle of blood was running down.

Queenie looked scared as she hurriedly pulled a handkerchief out of a pocket on her fur coat, and gently pressed it up against Iris' nose, trying to stop the bleeding.

"The mind is a powerful thing, Iris. But it is also fragile. Too much pressure and it could snap," Queenie warned, "you could barely handle this many people... you could imagine how bad the damage would be if it was a whole castle full of students and teachers."

Queenie helped her off the ground, Iris still applying pressure to the handkerchief over her nose.

"People who go too far can get lost in their own minds forever, Iris. Don't let yourself be one of them. Keep everyone out, and just remember, one at a time and you'll be fine."