57 | ESPRIT D'ESCALIER

ESPRIT D'ESCALIER
(n.) the witty comeback you think of after the time is past to use it

TESSA COULD BARELY SLEEP AT ALL THAT NIGHT AFTER WHAT HAD JUST HAPPENED. Umbridge had been made Head of Hogwarts by Fudge himself last night, and that along with what Dumbledore did was all everyone was talking about the next day.

"Dumbledore will be back before long," Ernie told the Golden Quartet on their way back from Herbology. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her. Apparently she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," Hermione snarled as they walked into the entrance hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old —"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?"

They looked over to see Pansy Parkinson standing along with Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle. The last time Tessa had had a conversation with Pansy, it didn't last very well and ended up with them in a fight.

Tessa rolled her eyes and drawled, "What an unlikely group you've formed, the lot of you."

"Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff," she sneered.

"It's only teachers that can dock points from Houses, Parkinson," Ernie retorted.

"Yeah, we're prefects too, remember?" Ron snapped.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Weasel King," Blaise scoffed as Crabbe and Goyle snickered. "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad —"

"The what?" Hermione asked sharply.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger," Pansy said, pointing toward a tiny silver I on her robes below her prefect badge. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points. So, Granger, I'll have five from you for being rude about our new headmistress. Macmillan, five for contradicting me. Twenty, because rabid dog over here broke my nose the last time. Five because I don't like you, Potter. Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that. Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a Mudblood, Granger, so ten for that."

Ron pulled out his wand as Tessa growled inhumanly and threatened to break Pansy's nose again, but Hermione hissed at them, "Don't!"

"Wise move, Granger," Pansy said with a laugh. "New Head, new times — oh, there you are, Draco!"

Everyone turned to see Draco walking over to them with a stony expression. Their eyes fell on the Inquisitorial Squad pin on his robes, and Hermione whipped around to Tessa as Ron's mouth hung open in betrayal.

"Umbridge is looking for you," Draco said stiffly as they all moved down the hallway to the direction of the new headmistress's office. He lingered behind the group, briefly meeting eyes with Tessa whom he sent a subtle nod to. He reached up to casually push his hair away from his forehead, but his pointer finger lingered on his temple.

     "Legilimens," Tessa whispered very quietly under her breath.

     Don't drink anything.

As he walked away, Ernie blurted out at once, "Oy, isn't that your boyfriend?"

"I didn't expect he'd actually join the Inquisitorial Squad!" Harry said in disbelief.