003

august 15th, 2020
2:22 pm

THE RIDE FROM LOUISVILLE TO Lexington had been unsurprisingly quiet

Sunday was still nursing a broken heart and her father and brother had been nothing but sweet and understanding, only speaking to ask for directions or to pass one of the various snacks from the convenience store in the bag that laid upon her feet.

The family had only just reached the University Of Kentucky after an almost three hour ride through their home state.

College students wearing shirts with the university's logo were placed near the entrance, smiling, dancing around and directing cars towards the right destination.

"What's the name of your dorm?" Henry glanced at Sunday over in the passenger seat of his hooptie.

"Holmes Hall." Sunday recited in a monotone, her head reclined against the window.

"Home hall?" Noah chirped from the backseat.

"No, bubba. Holmes not home." Sunday patiently explained.

Henry cleared his throat as he slowed down the car and rolled down the window to speak to a girl wearing a shirt with the hashtag BBN printed on.

"Hi, do you know where Holmes Hall is?" Henry asked.

"If you continue straight and then make a left at the next turn, you'll be there." The girl smiled.

Henry nodded his gratitude and then rolled the window up.

"You're gonna need to join a Black Student Union or something while you're here. I haven't seen one of us yet." Henry commented.

Sunday simply nodded at her father's words as the car followed the girl's instructions.

Holmes Hall was entirely made out of brick and glass and looked more like a modern apartment building than a traditional dormitory.

"Woah." Sunday muttered at the amount of students and parked outside of the building with trailers and UHaul trucks.

Henry backed the car into a parking spot then looked at Sunday, "How about you go and check in while me and Noah start to unload everything?"

"Okay," Sunday said in a soft tone.

Sunday gently opened the door and closed it even more gently before readjusting her bag.