chapter twenty-one - flat lines and love letters

chapter twenty-one – flat lines and love letters

I watched the headlights pass up above me and I tried to scream out for help. But all that came out was what sounded like a wheeze.

I thought back to the events that lead me here.

Going back to my car to get the letter I had spent years trying to write for her.

Thea cheating on me with my brother.

Speeding off.

The rain that started pouring down around me.

The slick sound of my tired skidding on the bridge.

The fear that wrecked my body as my car crashed through the guard rail.

It seemed like that was hours ago but I couldn't have been here for hours, right?

Someone should have found me. Someone should be looking for me. Thea should be looking for me. My brothers should be looking for me.

But what if... what if Thea and Kevin just continued what they were doing after I had left.

What if she was kissing him with those lips that I had never thought I would get the chance to feel? What if she was staring at him with her beautiful brown eyes?

While I was here...

I tried to move my legs but I couldn't feel them anymore. I was pinned in. Just like Summer. Just like Matt...

"Car crash, no consciousness since we showed up on scene, trauma to the abdomen. 18 year old female. Possible miscarriage"

My brain swirled as I listened to the paramedics speak frantically to the doctors. Miscarriage?

I was following them when someone yelled my name.

"Eric!" Mom grabbed me.

"Mom. Anthony stayed with Summer and Matt. I-Im sorry- I have to" I couldn't speak anymore, the lump in my throat growing too big.

I left my family in the waiting area as I chased the doctors.

I grabbed Marilyn's hand as soon as I was close enough and pulled it to my lips.

"It's okay baby. Everything's going to be okay" The tears were leaking down my face. "You're going to wake up and the babies going to be fine."

A doctor told me I had to stay back and I watched as they wheeled her into a room. The door was still open so I continued to speak.

"We're going to have a family, okay? We'll get married and-and if it's a girl we'll name it Juliet. We'll name her Juliet" My voice broke at the end as the sobs wrecked my body.

"Her stomach's filling with blood" One of the doctors yelled.

I felt hands wrap around my shoulders and my eyes met a young nurse that I recognized as a friend of my Dad.

"C'mon. I'll take you back to your family" She smiled sadly at me.

"I don't want to leave her" I whispered.

"You don't want to see what they're about to do" She pulled me away.

But I glanced back and she was right. The sight of the doctor cutting into Marilyn and blood spilling out made me vomit.

It was getting harder to stay awake. My head hurt. Everything hurt. From the physical pain to the emotional hurt I was feeling.

I stared down as my phone rang. It was too far for me to reach.