+{}Deserted: Mind, Body, and...Heart? {}+

The ship hummed as it glided across the sea of stars, blinking its lights as its occupants inside either dreamt of the worlds beyond reason or drove the ship to who knows where. Keith slept in the little cot, while the white-haired man stared into the abyssal skies, slightly swaying hands holding the controls. He thought about Keith's reaction to the helmet falling off when they were running from that she-beast. His reaction was odd. His eyes, in one brief moment, enflamed his face in primal fear. Then in a flash, faded to forgetfulness and confusion. The wounds dealt may have altered the moments, but the one fragment that was real burned brightly in his mind. He looked at his side, and with one hand lifted his slick black garments to reveal a dark gash embedded below his ribs. He did his best to dress himself and Keith's bandages, but the slightest movements would bring a sharp pain to the entire body. 

"Hey, are you awake?" the man asked.

Keith responded with a moan as he slumped out of bed, also sporting his show of bandages with blood running through. He shifted over to the passenger seat, wincing with every step. Keith felt multiple sensations coursing through his mind. Dizziness, confusion, fear....hunger. His stomach growled, and his mouth tasted of sand. 

"Is there any food...?" Keith paused, "Or do we have to forage on the next planet?"

"We have to forage, but if there is something we can share, it would be next to the stealth suits."

 "Can you look? I can...drive if you want..." Keith mumbled.

The man pressed the autopilot button as he rose from his chair to check, only to pause as the ship came to an abrupt stop. Both of them looked out the window, to see a landscape of blood-red oceans. It had been two days since the bustling city of Mengarthea tried to kill them. Now they were in a completely different landscape; an island city half above water and half below. The man knew that two races of people lived here in peace, but didn't know how to get underwater. His mind raced for a moment, then his thoughts vanished into thin air as he heard Keith fall on the pink sand behind him. He rushed over and supported him by the shoulder as they went into the settlement. The area was lively, with kids running around and straight green trees lining the sand-strewn streets. They reached an inn called the Shen Haering Hotel, limping with every step. The man talked to the barkeeper while Keith looked around the establishment. The walls were lined with small dots of fluorescent fungus, distracting the eyes from the collection of scales and alcohols on the ceiling, illuminating the area with an amber glow. The man came back, his face troubled.

"I got us a room. The good news it is right next to the entrance to the underwater area. The bad news is that there is only one bed." 

Keith looked at the man's face, his yellow eyes a whirlpool of mixed emotions. He was still a little too dazed to care, but only when he saw the room his tiredness was replaced by embarrassment and one more emotion he couldn't put his finger on. The room had one large bed laced with ruby covers and sheets. There was a glass of Scarlett wine on a bedstand, a mahogany closet, and a desk adorned with rose etchings of seashells. The sky was dark magenta, beginning to manifest holes of white against the sky. The man began to undress, stripping down to black undershorts and his bandaged side. As Keith began to follow, the man looked away, striding towards the bathroom and turning on the faucet. His hands dipped under the stream of water, splashing his pale lavender face. As he stared at himself in the mirror, he noticed that Keith had undressed and fallen asleep in seconds. He turned off the faucet and lifted the covers, staring at Keith beneath the blankets. He slipped into the bed, sitting upright, not noticing that he was watching Keith sleep soundly. He noticed his jet-black hair strewn across his face, covering his eyes and nose. His mouth was wide open, and the man's eyes wandered down to his pale neck. He reached out to touch his hair, to stroke it while his other traced the veins on his neck. He realized what he was thinking, face grown hot and red. He toyed with his white hair and lay down in a dreamless void.