6.6🥀

Chaebin had fallen asleep and Soobin reached out to take him from Hobie.

"I'll just put this little one to bed," the other woman said quietly and Hobie nodded numbly. She felt completely drained and looked it too. Jeon sat down on the sofa and leaned toward her, very gently nudging the glass of orange juice in her direction again. She shot him a warning glance and he grinned slightly.

"I'm not trying to bully you into drinking a glass of orange juice, Hobie," he said softly. "I just thought you looked a bit parched." She gritted her teeth and sheer perversity kept her from picking up the glass and quenching her thirst. He said nothing further, merely leaned back in his chair with a soft sigh.

"So what did the doctor really say yesterday?" He asked after a pause.

"I'm slightly anaemic, that's what's causing the dizziness, he adjusted my diet to include more iron," she responded quietly and he nodded.

"Everything else is normal?" He asked after another short pause.

"Yes."

"You'd tell me if it wasn't?"

"Yes," he seemed satisfied with her answer and smiled slightly.

"Thank you," she sighed and nodded an acknowledgement before finally conceding that her childishness would achieve nothing. She leaned over to pick up the glass of orange juice and take a sip. Fortunately he made no comment and his expression remained neutral. Again there was silence and this time it lasted until Soobin returned. Things were surprisingly amicable after that and Hobie and Jeon left about forty minutes later.

On the way home, she asked him about his private talk with Soobin but he refused to be drawn into conversation on the subject and Hobie eventually gave up in frustration.

The following month sped by, Hobie and Jeon's new arrangement worked well, their meals together were civil, even pleasant and her doctors' appointments were less of an ordeal with Jeon's silent support. He kept his end of the bargain, merely observing and never interfering but just having him there made such a difference to Hobie's sense of well-being. What surprised Hobie the most was how much she was enjoying the time together that he had requested. Contrary to her expectations, he hadn't cancelled once, even coming home earlier than usual on the appointed nights. Sometimes they simply sat side by side in the den, sharing a bowl of popcorn and watching a movie, rarely saying much. Sometimes they would play Scrabble and Hobie usually enjoyed those nights very much, it wasn't often she got to beat Jeon at anything and to his profound horror he was appalling at Scrabble. He blamed his lack of prowess on the fact that English wasn't his native language but he approached every rematch with a never-say-die determination. Unfortunately said determination hadn't yet resulted in a victory for him and Hobie was delighted by the fact that she was a better player than he was.

Despite his lack of skill, he played hard and often had her in stitches with his creative spelling and made up words. They also had an ongoing chess rivalry and were a lot more evenly matched at that game. Hobie soon realised that she was starting to look forward to those two hours and hated the fact that he was insiyouusly creeping beneath her defences again. Unfortunately, much like a car accident, she could see it coming but couldn't seem to find a way to prevent the inevitable disaster from occurring. She was always very strict about the time, trying hard to maintain some kind of control over the situation and whatever they were doing, unfinished or not, had to stop exactly two hours after it had started. They usually picked up where they had left off the next time anyway.

"No," Hobie insisted adamantly one night, during one of their aggressive Scrabble games, they were sitting on the floor with the board placed on the low coffee table between them. "I totally challenge that word! Lexiquon is not a word, Jeon and you know it."

"Of course it is," he nodded blithely. "You're challenging it because you don't want me to have the bonus points and the two triple word scores!"

"Of course I don't," she agreed scathingly. "Two hundred and seventy-five points for a made up word? Never going to happen! I'm not running a charity here..." he grinned boyishly at that and she averted her eyes, trying very hard not to be charmed by him. Finally he grumbled good-naturedly and removed his tiles from the board.

"Maybe it's a French word," he muttered defensively and she rolled her eyes.

"Well, feel free to use it the next time you play a Frenchman!" He laughed outright at that and she caught her breath at the carefree sound. Every day he relaxed more and more around her and she often sensed that he wanted to extend their time together. He contemplated the board again, stroking his slightly stubbled jaw thoughtfully as he considered his next move. Eventually he settled on "eel" which was so badly placed it that was worth only three points and she snorted disdainfully, while taking down his points. She smiled sweetly up at him, before pointing out the free "t" which he could have used for the word "exit" before gleefully using that "t" for her own word, making use of the conveniently situated triple word score in the process and amassing a handy thirty-nine points for her "smithy".

"What is this word?" He growled. "Names aren't allowed!" She couldn't help but giggle at his outrage before whipping out a definition of the word for him. He glared down at the dictionary before grumbling to himself in Korean again and going back to studying the board. Hobie smiled slightly to herself, noting the way his hair had slid forward over his forehead and just dying to brush it back, she hid her hands beneath the table and clenched her fists to quell the unreasonable impulse.

"I know that it's early days yet but I've been thinking about decorating the nursery," she said just to get her mind off of her crazy desire to touch him. Her words caught his attention and he looked up with an unguarded smile.

"That's a terrific idea," he nodded eagerly. "We could go shopping for furniture and toys, I saw this huge panda bear at a toy shop a week ago that would be perfect for a baby." His enthusiastic response completely threw her and she stared at him blankly for a few moments.