Chapter Twenty: They Followed Us

"Do you guys think we can lose them if we turn right here?" Bennett asked us.

"Bennett!" I scolded. 

"I'm kidding," Bennett assured me, then muttering to himself, "is what I would say if I wasn't actually serious."

"What was that Bennett?" I asked him.

"Nothing Naomi." He replied back.

My eyes checked the wing mirror at my side of the car since I called for shotgun. The pink Volkswagen Beetle was still tailing us, following us as we lead them to the cafe I was talking about. I know for a fact that Bennett really had tried to lose them a couple of times, taking sharp turns or sudden U-turns. But the car always stayed on our path, not wanting to lose us. I've passed the cafe many times when I take walks around the city. It opened a few months ago, I think over the summer. I've seen the of the daily menu that hung in front of the windows. It seemed like a nice place to eat, but I never had a chance to try it. I smiled at how smart I was telling them about the cafe for us to eat.

I actually can't wait for us to get there. I bet we'll all have a great time. The seven of us will talk, get to know each other, maybe even hang out at school. The girls will become friends with me. We'll hang out, shop at the mall, talk in the phone, have sleepovers. And the guys will be friends with them too. I can't wait to-

What was I thinking? Have I forgotten these are the same three that bully me constantly at school? The insults, the nicknames, the jokes began to flood into my mind. The bad memories of the words, the laughter, the pushing. My eyebrows furrowed at this. I know they were my bullies, and I shouldn't trust them, I shouldn't be agreeing to this, I shouldn't be so happy to eat with them, remembering the times they "accidentally" crashed into my, having my lunch covered all over myself. But that's the weakness of unpopular kids, their will, their dream to become popular. It happens with everyone actually unpopular or popular. The unpopular kids want the chance to be known, to have friends, and they'll do anything to have that chance. The same goes for popular kids, sure they're already popular. But they'll either want to stay popular or become even more popular, and will do anything to have that chance. It's funny how much unpopular and popular kids have in common.

So the same goes for me. I know I shouldn't be in league with these people. I know I shouldn't even be seen talking with them. But I can't pass this opportunity. The opportunity to be popular, the opportunity to not be bullied, or just the opportunity to be normal. I want that chance, anyone in my position would want that chance. If your popular enemies gave you the chance to be popular, would you take it? If not, I'll take it for you. 

"I still can't believe we're driving to some cafe when we just inches away from the food court," Jordan groaned.

"I know, something is wrong with those girls." Declan agreed, which is a first for him.

"There's nothing wrong with them," I told him. "They have their reasons. They must have been to the mall so many times, they don't want to eat anymore of that stuff."

"Well I wanted to eat some of that stuff," Jordan said. "From what you were talking about the food, I was ready to eat like there's no tomorrow."

"I wanted to eat that too," I admitted, "I heard there was this thing called stuffed pizza and-" I caught myself and shook my head "- But maybe it's good trying something new. You guys practically live off pizzas, it's better to try something different."

"I just hope your cafe has Jordan worthy food," Jordan said, patting his growling stomach.

"That's it over there," I told Bennett, pointing at the small cafe just at the side of the street.