Chapter Twenty-Four

The abyss was thick, like tar, and drenched in the sweet smell of Magic in its purest form. Death and Time were waiting for the arrival of their favourite sister, passing the time by playing a game of Egyptian cards.

"You know," Death said, with a menacing grin on his face, "Magic is going to tear you a new one for scaring her ward." Time made a face, placing the sphinx card down on top Death's Bennu.

"It was hardly my fault, it's been a millennia since I've interacted with mortals, the last time that happened the russians invented the time turner. Sphinx tops Bennu, by the way, do you have Ammit?" It was Death's turn to scowl, as in fact, he did not. Picking up two new cards from a small deck on the side, Death placed another Sphinx, before sorting his cards in order of worth.

"It doesn't matter if you meant it, I watched him for a while afterwards, you know? Even Life was angry that you had upset the poor boy. While I find it hilarious, he is my Master, whether he knows it or not." Time placed another card, and Death grinned "Ha! Apep! That's another counter for me my friend."

"How am I supposed to fix it? I can't exactly undo the gift of Time. The poor lamb's already been rewired." Time handed over one of his precious golden counters, and in chalk Death drew another line. Their game had been going on for centuries, and both were around even in the amount of games they had won. The air in the void shifted, and Time packed the game up with a snap of his fingers. Magic was coming.

"Sister!" Time exclaimed, reddening beneath the collar just a little. "It's been too long, are you well?" Magic, not one for pageantry when angered, just stormed towards her brother with an angry expression.

"Am I well? Am I well? Brother are you a God or not? Control your bloody powers before I deem it fit to relieve you of them! My son was traumatised at his visions, and I'm sure you don't want to see the outcome if I get involved." Death, who had stood off to the side to avoid his sister's wrath, placed a comforting hand on Magic's shoulder.

"Sister," he demurred, "It was an accident, leave our poor brother alone hmm? How about occlumency? With a little gift from you and I young Harry should be able to block the visions much easier." Lady Magic thought for a second, relief flooding Time as her expression became calmer.

"Yes, you're quite right brother mine, Harry should feel much better with a little occlumency. Perhaps I should teach some extra steps to him this summer. He just about managed a mental shield before the start of term."

"That's settled then!" Death clapped his hands together, "How about another round of cards Time? To celebrate? Magic would you care to join?"

"I can't, Death, I'm afraid there's something wrong with one of Harry's professors. He positively reeks of your essence, I believe that perhaps the Riddle boy has found his way into Hogwarts." In his shock, Death's form flickered, a small glimmer of a skeletal figure underneath.

"Riddle? Thomas Riddle?" Time arched an eyebrow as Death's eyes glowed with joy.

"Dear sister how about I accompany you? I'd love to see my darling Riddle again. The one that got away, oh how I long for his embrace." Time simply straightened out his tunic and patted Death on the shoulder.

"Enjoy your Riddle hunt brother, perhaps Destiny would enjoy a round of cards instead."

--

The spring term at Hogwarts was positively flying by, classes blurring into boring lectures and slumps over library tables with books upon books upon books. Madam Pince never let him take out more than three at a time, and Harry took great pleasure in sneaking back after hours with his cloak to read to his heart's content. He'd learned many things in the dark; warding, protection, nasty hexes and runes. He learned how to make things unnoticeable, and how to make people forget what they should have never known about. Perhaps it was because of a childhood of solitude, but he much preferred this studying in silence, a small jar of bluebell flames and his trunk, stuffed full of old tomes, than the useless chatter and bickering of his friends. Sure, he enjoyed their company, but it was too much a lot of the time, overwhelmed with their presence, but unable to slink away as often as he wished. Much of this time was spent with Ouroboros, who understood, as only serpents could really, Harry's need for solitude and quiet, as snakes only met others to be born, mate and kill. You could get away with most things under the cover of darkness, Harry mused to himself often, as even the portraits were asleep and the teacher's preferred to sleep and pretend that teenagers would respect the rules set on them, and things wouldn't go bump in the night.