chapter thirty-seven

Molly

I ran straight into my bathroom, emptying my stomach in the toilet bowel. Emily was quick to grab my hair and hold it up and out of the way.

"Molly, that's the second time this morning" Emily said as she tied my hair up with the hair tie she had on her wrist.

"I know, it's just the Thai from last night, it's fine" I responded, wiping my mouth with toilet paper before flushing it down the toilet along with the Thai.

"Molly" Emily said sternly. I got up from the ground and turned to face her.

"I know what you're going to say, but I'm not" I said.

"When was your period due?" Emily asked. I sighed and turned to face the mirror. "Molly answer the question" 

"Last week, but that doesn't mean anything. My period is irregular a lot" I responded, pushing past her and walking out of the bathroom. 

"Molly why don't you just take a test just to be sure" Emily said, following after me.

"Because I don't need to. I'm on the pill and it's never failed me before" I snapped. I didn't mean to get so angry at Emily, and I don't know why I did, but I guess I was just in no mood to be having this discussion.

"Yes but maybe you forgot to take it one morning" Emily said, perching herself up on our kitchen counter while I poured myself a glass of water to rid the horrid vomit taste in my mouth.

"I'm not taking a test Em. I don't need to. I'm not pregnant" I said before gulping down my glass of water. Emily sighed and hopped down from the counter.

"Fine, I'm going to the shops, I'll be back soon" Emily replied as she made her way into her room.

"Can you pick up some peanut butter and licorice while your there?" I asked. Emily stopped where she was and turned to face me.

"You don't like licorice?" She said, giving me a look I couldn't read.

"Well maybe I'm willing to try it again. Taste can change" I said. Emily nodded and continued her way to her room again as I did headed into mine.

It wasn't long before I heard the apartment door open and close, signalling Emily had gone.

. . .

"Molly" I felt myself being shook awake. I slowly opened my eyes to reveal Emily standing beside my bed, holding a bag. "It's only 11:30 in the morning, you just woke up and now your sleeping again" She said, sitting down beside me.

"I was tired and had nothing to do" I replied, sitting up. Emily gave me yet another look I couldn't read. 

"Ok, well I got you your licorice and peanut butter" She said, handing me the bag. I peered inside to find she had gotten what I'd asked. But that was the problem, she'd only gotten what I'd asked.

"I thought you had to go to the shops" I said.

"I did" Emily said, pulling out three small boxes and chucking them to me. I caught them and looked down.