Crack

"Fuck." The small crack in my windshield from a flying rock on the highway was growing. It was going to be just a fill, but now the crack was spreading almost halfway across the glass. The windshield would need to be replaced entirely.

I opened my insurance app and filed the claim, selecting my appointment time and making note of the $200.00 deductible. I called Wrex and let him know that I scheduled for Saturday when we're both off work so he can pick me up after I dropped off my car.

I made sure to schedule the appointment for later in the day so we could sleep in. We had a lazy morning of coffee, news, and cartoons. We didn't make a plan for the day until around noon, deciding that we would go downtown to check out some local festivals after dropping off my car.

"What time is the windshield appointment?"

"Like 3." I glanced down at my phone. It was 2:30 and I was still doing my makeup.

"Like 3? Or at 3?"

"It's a drop off window, so like anytime after 3 is fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll wait for you downstairs."

I spent extra time on my eyeliner, trying to get my wings even. I put on a green and black checkered dress I bought from Hot Topic years ago, my rose day collar, sparkly stud earrings, and black sandals. We were out the door at 3:05.

I stopped to get gas on our way there, noticing it was close to E and remembering Wrex's rule for keeping the tank no less than a quarter full. With the added stop, I didn't arrive at the auto shop until 3:30. Wrex was waiting in his car when I pulled in.

"So is it a lock box we leave the keys in?" he asked.

I looked around, but I didn't see one.

"Probably just leave them at the front desk." There was less confidence in my voice now. Usually, there was a key drop off box. This wasn't the first time I've dropped my car off for repairs. But I realized this was my first time at this location. I should have looked at the email they sent me.

"Hi, I'm here to drop off my car for windshield replacement."

The woman behind the front desk looked up at me, confused. "We close in 30 minutes. Did you have an appointment?"

"Um, yeah, but I thought it was just a drop off window."

"No." Her tone was harsh. "Are you Violet?"

"Yes."

"You're a half hour late. You'll need to reschedule."

"I'm so sorry. Okay, yeah, when's the next available appointment?"

Whatever pleasant customer service tone she may have used with other punctual clients, she did not use with me. Not even a crack of a smile in response to my apologies.

I peeked over at Wrex, his eyes burning into me. Suddenly the woman behind the counter appeared much less harsh.

"Saturday at 8:30 a.m."

"Do you have anything later?" I asked.

"8:30 a.m. is fine." Wrex interrupted.

"Are you sure? That's your day off don't you want to sleep in?"

"No, 8:30 is fine."

The woman entered the appointment and sent me a confirmation email. Wrex put his hand on the small of my back as he thanked the receptionist and led me out the door.