Chapter Sixty-Three

Chapter Sixty-Three:

Lexi's POV

I spent all of dinner a little uncomfortable and overwhelmed by all the business talk around me.

Not to mention that Holden couldn't stop staring at me the whole meal, which didn't help at all.

I tried to feel flattered by it, but I knew I was lying to myself by the way I found myself leaning against Bryce the whole time. He sensed how tense I was, keeping his arm on the top of my thigh to reassure me that he was there for me.

We ate quickly, then excusing ourselves from the table to drop out dishes in the dishwasher.

Afterwards, we headed straight for the living room, taking a seat down on one of the couches together.

"Are you all right, darling?" Bryce asks from beside me, and I can't think of the right words.

Instead, I crawl into his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck as I enjoy his bodily warmth. He gently begins to trace his fingertips up and down against my back, and I let out a small whimper.

"I'm sorry. I just really don't belong in this setting, and we both know that. Please don't bother trying to convince me otherwise; I'm fine with it. It's all just a little strange," I tell
him anxiously.

Sure, my parents have company over for dinner all the time. But the atmosphere of this gathering is just so different that it's completely unsettling me.

Thankfully, Bryce understands where I'm coming from, and so after biting down on his lip for a moment with a worried look in his eyes, he bends down to press a kiss to my cheek.

"So how long have you two been together for?" a female voice pipes in all of a sudden.

When I turn to my left, the really pretty blonde woman who I believe is named 'Caroline' is sitting down on one of the other sofas. Holden sits down beside her, taking a sip from the glass in his hand, and I notice that a few other people are filing into the room.

I make a move to climb out of Bryce's lap, thinking that it's probably not appropriate with all these other people around us, but Bryce spins me around so that my back is pressed against his chest.

His arms are tight around my waist, and I turn my head a little to look at him to find a cocky grin on his face.

"We've been together for a month now, I suppose," Bryce answers, his hand drifting down to my hips and then my thigh.

A shiver rakes through my body, and I force myself to look away from Bryce.

"How interesting. You two seem very content for only being in a relationship for that short of a period of time," Caroline then comments, before who I can only assume is her husband beckons for her to join him back in the kitchen.

She stands up, leaving, Bryce, Holden and I to sit in uncomfortable silence.

"So, Lexi, what sort of things are you into?" Holden asks me out of the blue, and I feel Bryce press his face against my shoulder as if he's trying to stifle a laugh.

It takes me a moment to realize what he finds so hilarious, but then I eventually catch on to the sexual innuendo.

"Bryce!" I hiss quietly, and he chuckles as he presses a gentle kiss to the base of my neck.

Ignoring him, I turn back to Holden.

"I do musical theatre, actually," I answer, and Bryce finally pulls his face away from me, giving my inner thigh a quick squeeze that almost makes me gasp.