Chapter 10

Harry absentmindedly wrestled his fingers through a tangle in his hair as he wandered through Diagon Alley. He had escaped from Hogwarts relatively easy with a snap of his finger and was looking to visit a potions shop or perhaps a more sinister equivalent in Knockturn Alley. He smiled at his thoughts. Just how much could he elevate his pranks with the right ingredients?

Harry probably could've just raided the potions cabinet while Slughorn would be none-the-wiser, but he had some other shopping to do. The Yule Ball was coming up and it would be incredibly rude if he didn't put maximal effort into courting Hogwarts's most eligible bachelor. After their last encounter, Tom seemed to be avoiding Harry's eyes (much to Harry's disappointment), but he still felt Tom's gaze when his back was turned. There was hope. That meant that there was only one way to fix this problem: Make himself so eye-catching that there was no way he could look away.

The silver bell jingled as Harry pulled the door open. There were only two people within the store, a distressed regal-looking man dressed in designer robes with intricate embellishments, holding perhaps the biggest sack of galleons Harry had ever seen (which says a lot), and a sales clerk who was about to name this man her thirteenth reason. Harry gravitated towards the pair or perhaps the galleons to overhear their conversation.

"I will pay anything, I will pay the commission to anyone you can hire, please find me the Silene Tomentosa. My wife is ill, she needs it." 

"Sir, I'm not sure what to say. We haven't even confirmed the existence of such a flower, and according to stories it blossoms for an extremely short period of time. We can't guarantee any results." 

"Oh?" Harry interrupted their conversation, "but I can." 

_______________________________________________

The next day, Tom was conversing with Abraxas at breakfast when a snowy owl swooped through the window, diving towards Tom at top speed and stopping itself seconds before the collision. The unfamiliar owl deposited a package in his lap before flying off again. 

"What the hell was that? Let me have a crack at that rude --" Abraxas began before ogling at the package's label "Is that from Celeste's Boutique?! My father has been trying to get an appointment with this brand for months. They only serve high-profile customers and you'd have to sacrifice at least 3 legs to afford the simplest ties. Not me of course, my father is rich, but maybe for some mudblood like Evans, 3 legs wouldn't be enough."

Intrigued, Tom opened the package as familiar magic flooded out. "Evans", Tom thought irately. Hundreds of sparkly hearts burst forth basking the Great Hall in their pink glow. Every time one heart reached the floor it burst into a cloud of glitter. Screams rang throughout the hall.

Tom looked down at his glitter-covered thighs with impatience and somehow still spotless present. Curiosity got the better of Tom as he examined the box. Malfoy wasn't wrong about the brand. These robes were worth the cost, he thought while he ran his fingers through the delicate embroidery and silky blue fabric. Tom begrudgingly supposed these garments were suitable for someone as accomplished as himself however dubious the source was. 

Malfoy yelled above the commotion, "My lord, are you okay?! Who sent that? I don't know anyone rich enough or stupid enough to do this."

To confirm his suspicions, Tom found a letter addressed to him in the box. 

My Dearest Tom, 

You're probably reading this covered in glitter with an irate expression. A very cute expression I might add. Did you like my surprise? Instead of holding this letter, how about you hold me in your arms? There is nothing that would make me happier than having you accompany me to the Yule Ball in these robes... or not in robes at all, whichever you prefer.  Will you do me the honor?

Your best friend and biggest admirer, 

Harry Evans <3

P.S.  I hope you weren't scared away by the size of my package

Evans rose from his seat and approached Tom. By now the great hall had mostly calmed down as Dumbledore began spelling the glitter away, which gave the students the leisure to ogle at the situation before them. Harry made a grand gesture and kneeled before Tom, a gesture that Riddle will never admit sent a pleasant shiver up his spine. He absolutely did not like the idea of the bane of his existence submitting to his authority. 

"Tom Marvolo Riddle," Harry reached toward him and clasped his hand and before he could wretch it away, pressed his soft lips against his fingers, "Will you attend the Yule Ball with me?"

Tom gave Harry a close-eyed smile as he yanked his hand away. With his other hand, he burnt the letter. 

____________________

Comment and Vote! It's the Yule Ball arc!