Chapter 8: Family Secrets, Gossipy Villagers

"Third sister-in-law," Yun Shuang said.

Sun Xinghua was the daughter-in-law of Xiao Qingming's uncle's family, and her husband was Xing San (San indicates third in the family).

"I'm asking you, what did your sister-in-law take you and Zi An to do behind the house?"

"Cut bamboo."

Upon hearing this, Sun Xinghua became angry and said, "Why did she make you two do it? You're both so thin, can you handle it? Your sister-in-law is becoming more and more unreasonable. Not only does she make you do laundry and cooking, but now she's making you do even heavier work. It's as if her conscience has been eaten by dogs!"

Yun Shuang quickly shook her head and defended Ji Wan'er, saying, "Sister-in-law didn't make me and my brother do it. She did it herself."

"Really? You're not lying to me?"

"Really," Yun Shuang nodded.

Sun Xinghua no longer believed Yun Shuang's words.

This child had never spoken ill of that woman next door.

"Then why was she cutting bamboo?"

"Sister-in-law said there's no fence around the house and she wants to cut some bamboo to make a fence around the property."

This was truly strange. This woman actually started caring about such things.

Wasn't she always complaining and cursing about this side of the village and not wanting to stay here a minute longer?

Due to her understanding of Ji Wan'er, Sun Xinghua was somewhat skeptical.

However, she observed for a whole day, and that woman indeed spent the entire day cutting bamboo.

She couldn't figure out what she was up to, so she thought about calling the children over to ask.

"I haven't seen her scold or beat you for quite some time. Could it be that she's afraid to do it openly and has started doing it secretly behind people's backs?" Sun Xinghua asked.

Yun Shuang vigorously shook her head. "No, no. Sister-in-law hasn't been hitting us recently. She has been treating me and my brother very well."

Sun Xinghua didn't believe it. She had seen how harshly Ji Wan'er used to beat the children.

Afraid that Sun Xinghua wouldn't believe her, Yun Shuang added, "Really, sister-in-law cooked all day yesterday and even gave us eggs and white rice to eat."

Sun Xinghua thought either she was going deaf or Yun Shuang was dreaming.

"This morning she even made egg noodles, and my brother ate three bowls," Yun Shuang said.

The more they talked, the more surreal it seemed.

Thinking that this child had never said anything negative about Ji Wan'er, Sun Xinghua didn't dwell on the matter any longer. She said, "Don't act like a fool, speaking up for her every day. Don't sell yourself to her and count the money for her one day. Your brother is putting all his energy into studying, he might not have time for you, and he might not know the suffering you've endured. If you have any problems, you must talk to your brother, do you understand?"

"Yes," Yun Shuang replied.

After Yun Shuang went back, it was time for dinner, and she hurried to help.

As for the words Sun Xinghua had just spoken to her, she didn't mention a word.

After dinner, Ji Wan'er returned to her room.