𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥

THE STERILE WHITE of the hospital room seemed to magnify the silence around Nailea, who lay on the bed, her eyes fixed on the incessant ticking of the clock on the wall. It was as though time itself was mocking her, reminding her of the games she might never play again, the dreams that could be slipping through her fingers. The doctors had been cautious yet clear: systemic lupus erythematosus, a disease as unpredictable and relentless as a tempest.

She had refused visitors all day, barricading herself behind the flimsy privacy the hospital room offered. Her teammates, her friends, her coach – they all wanted to see her, to offer encouragement, but Nailea couldn't bear their worried gazes, their unspoken pity. She craved solitude, until Paige walked in.

Paige's presence was different, a calming presence that seemed to fill the room with a sense of understanding and compassion. Their eyes met, and in that moment, Nailea knew she couldn't keep the truth from Paige.

"Nailea," Paige spoke softly, her voice filled with genuine concern, "please, tell me what's happening. You don't have to face this alone."

Nailea looked into Paige's earnest eyes and her resolve crumbled. "It's lupus, Paige," she confessed, her voice a mere whisper, the words tasting bitter on her tongue. "The doctors aren't sure about...about my future in basketball."

The doctors had explained to Nailea that her symptoms were consistent with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), an autoimmune disease that threatened her health and could potentially impact her basketball career. The thought of her future plans crumbling before her eyes sent a wave of panic through her, the weight of her words hanging heavy in the air.

The brunette felt her breathing quickened, her heart racing, and the room that was once stationary now seemed to spin. But Paige was there, her hand reaching out, her touch grounding.

Paige came to her side, taking Nailea's trembling hands in her own. "Hey, look at me," Paige said gently. "You're not alone. Let's breathe together, okay? In... and out. That's it."

With Paige's soothing guidance, Nailea managed to regain control of her breathing, the panic slowly receding. Paige's presence was a lifeline, offering comfort and stability in the midst of Nailea's swirling emotions.

"You're so strong, Nailea," Paige whispered, a fierce determination in her tone. "Whatever comes, you can handle it. And I'll be right here."

"I'm so scared, Paige," Nailea whispered, her voice trembling. "What if I can't play basketball anymore?"

Paige squeezed her hand reassuringly. "We'll face this together, Nailea. No matter what happens, remember that you are more than your basketball career. You've got people who love you and care for you regardless basketball or not."

As Paige continued to speak words of encouragement and support, she raked her hands through the Nailea's hair. She felt the tension in her body begin to ease. Exhaustion washed over her, and she slowly succumbed to sleep, the sound of Paige's voice a soothing balm for her troubled mind.

Paige then reached for her phone, her fingers trembling as she dialed Caitlin's number. The phone barely rang before Caitlin's frantic voice filled the line.

"Paige, what's happening? Is she—"

"It's lupus, Caitlin," Paige cut in, her voice strained with the effort of staying composed. "She's scared, and... I think we all are."

Caitlin's response was a mix of anger and distress, her words a chaotic blend as she berated herself for not noticing sooner. Paige listened, the guilt gnawing at her own heart. She loved Nailea more than she had ever admitted aloud, and the sight of her in pain, the thought of her suffering alone, was almost too much to bear.

As visiting hours dwindled, the hospital corridor echoed with the soft shuffling of departing teammates. Inside the room, Paige prepared to leave, to give Nailea the solitude she had initially craved. But as she rose, Nailea's faint voice stopped her.

"Please, don't leave me," she pleaded, vulnerability coloring her tone.

Paige's resolve shattered at the plea. She couldn't leave; she wouldn't. Instead she maneuvered a nearby hospital bed adjacent to Nailea's, creating a makeshift sanctuary for the two of them. Lying down, Paige clasped Nailea's hand once more, their fingers entwined.

"Just sleep," Paige whispered, her lips brushing Nailea's knuckles. "I'm right here. I won't let go."

And as Nailea's breathing evened out in sleep once again, Paige stayed awake, watching over her through the night, a sentinel of compassion in a world that had suddenly become uncertain and fragile.

Outside, the rest of the team huddled in the waiting room, a tableau of concern and guilt. Nika, her eyes brimming with unshed tears, whispered her self-reproach to the empty space.

"It's my fault... I should've said something sooner."

Geno, always the pillar of strength, turned to face her. "None of this is your fault," he said firmly. "You respected her wishes. Nailea's strong; she'll get through this."

Nika's doubt was palpable. "But what if she hates me?"

Azzi rose, her voice steady as she approached the forlorn girl. "Nailea could never hate you.

Azzi placed a comforting hand on Nika's shoulder. "Listen, Nailea knows you did what you thought was best. She values your loyalty, and she's going to need us—all of us—more than ever now. But hate you? That's not who she is."

Nika looked up, her eyes reflecting the conflict within. She wanted to believe Azzi's words, to cast aside the fear and uncertainty that had taken root in her heart. A small nod was all she could muster, her silent agreement to cling to hope rather than succumb to despair.

The waiting room was quiet now, the buzz of earlier conversations replaced by a collective, contemplative silence. Each teammate was lost in their thoughts, their faces etched with worry and the desire to help in any way they could.

Visiting hours had officially ended, and the hospital staff began to usher the lingering visitors out, reminding them that their friend needed rest. One by one, they stood, casting one last look toward the door behind which Nailea and Paige remained.

As the team dispersed, the waiting room emptied, leaving behind the faint traces of their presence—a discarded magazine, a half-empty coffee cup, a warmth that lingered in the air.

Back in Nailea's room, Paige felt the weight of her emotions like a tangible thing, pressing down on her. She watched over Nailea, the steady rise and fall of her chest under the thin hospital blanket offering a silent reassurance.

The night stretched on, and the sounds of the hospital— Nailea's monitor beeping, the soft tread of nurses' shoes—were a quiet backdrop to Paige's vigil. She held Nailea's hand, the warmth of their connection a balm to the cold uncertainty of the future.

"At least you're not alone," Paige whispered into the darkness, her words for both Nailea and herself. "We'll face whatever comes together."

As the first light of dawn began to filter through the blinds, painting the room in soft shades of gold and pink, Paige finally allowed her own eyes to close. Drained from the emotional turmoil of the day, she drifted into a fitful sleep, still holding Nailea's hand, their fingers entwined in a silent pact of unwavering support.

Outside, the world awakened to a new day, but inside that hospital room, time seemed suspended—a sanctuary where fears could be shared, where the strength of their bond promised that no matter how dark the night, they would face the coming light together.

AN:

If you think it's getting better right now remember I love me some angst 😏

CAN WE JUST TAKE TIME TO APPRECIATE THE FOUR CHAPTERS THAT CAME OUT TDY LIKE GO MEEE