A Little Bit Of Sass And Snark

"Come again?" I blurted in sheer shock.

'It was a WHAT that broke Bertinelli, my mother's murderer, out of jail?'

My stomach churred sickly and I felt like I wanted to vomit.

I trusted the police. They helped me when I mum died, they made sure that Bertinelli wouldn't get off scot-free for what he did.

'N-now who do I trust?'

"I checked security cam footage, out of pure curiosity, and I saw that the day Bertinelli broke out, an unidentifiable police cruiser was there to pick him up." Scar elaborated.

The words that flew out of my mouth when Scar's words registered...

Yeah...

You don't want to know.

Just understand that they would not be considered 'ladylike'.

"This isn't good." John muttered, but I barely heard it over the sound of my head pounding.

"I feel like throwing up." I mumbled loud enough for the guys to hear as I leaned against the tree. John came closer to me and put an arm around my waist to keep my upright.

"Hey." John started gently and tilted my head to look into his eyes, but I couldn't. 

I just couldn't. 

"It's going to be okay. We'll get the guy who did this." He continued, his voice still soft as though he was talking to a baby.

I worried my lip roughly, nearly drawing blood. "You don't know that." I bit out harshly, a sudden rise of anger taking over. I wrenched myself out of his grasp and took several steps to the left of us, almost tripping over my own feet.

"Grace-" John tried, but I cut him off.

"We have nothing to use against them. Nothing." I stressed, then let out a bark of bitter laughter.

"Grace's right." Scar piped up from over the phone and I watched as John glared at my phone in my hand.

A phone.

A PHONE.

Let that sink in.

"What do you mean? No, she isn't!" John protested, but I simply shot him a glare of my own.

"Oh?" Scar questioned, her voice not convinced. "And what evidence do we have? Hm? A teenage girl who illegally hacked into the police's framework?"

John was silent.

"That's what I thought." She finished, her tone trying not to sound smug, but failing miserably. 

John ran a hand over his face exasperatedly. "Well then we'll get solid evidence." He declared, but I wasn't convinced.

'Not bloody likely.'

"Bertinelli covers his tracks well." I finally spoke up. "And even if we could get irrefutable evidence, there are obviously higher ups in the police department who would make sure that our claims never see the light of day."

"What were you expecting from corrupt cops, Lassie?" Scar asked snarkily and I saw John's face contort with frustration.

"You're right. Of course you are." He said with sincerity in his voice that I appreciated. 

'But he's not wrong...'

I considered his previous words with a contemplative look.

'If we can find solid proof, I can get into contact with gran and grandad's representatives. They probably won't know anything yet so I can get to them before Theo. Since they won't have the foggiest idea, I might be able to get an honest answer. At least at first.'

So, after mulling it over, I came up with a plan.

"John's idea isn't half bad, though." I stated and John's head snapped up from the ground. "If we can set a trap, we can lure Bertinelli and/or his minions out. When they try to strike, we'll have some officers that we trust laying in wait."

Scar hummed from over the line.

"But we don't know how far the corruption goes. Whoever you trust, might be in on the whole thing." Scar mused quietly and I could feel her frown from over the phone.

'That's not reassuring.'

"Hold up!" came Gray's voice from up in the tree. I titled my head up to look to see him glaring down at me, my phone in particular. "You can't honestly be thinking that we're going to do this!" He continued incredulously, speaking to Scar in particular.

I sighed deeply, looking back at the ground.

"Well if it isn't the idiot brother." Scar said, her voice mocking.

"You little-" Gray began, but she continued, cutting him off.

"Listen here you overgrown man-child who probably still wears Velcro shoes." My eyes widened at Scar's choice of insult while John laughed heartily. "If you have a better plan, please. Spit it out." She egged him on.

For once, Gray was silent.

"Mhm." Scar hummed. "That's what I thought."

'Well isn't this an amusing little argument.'

"Gray," I began with a shake of my head, "we have no other choice. Bertinelli is out there right now, killing innocent people and wanting to kill me, to kill you, to kill anybody with a connection to me." I ranted, stepping away from the tree to look up at him without craning my neck too much. 

His lips were in a thin line and he wasn't looking like his normal arsehole-y self.

"So if we can find a way to finish this once and for all, I'll take it without hesitation." I finished firmly, my tone leaving no room for argument. 

And for a moment, no one spoke.

Until, "That's my girl."

I laughed at Scar's low whistle and it made me feel slightly better.

"Thanks, Scar." I replied with a tiny grin on my face.

"You're welcome, bitch." She responded, her tone filled with smugness and pride."Now, sorry to cut this little moment short, but my sister is currently trying to wash Darce and he is straight up not having it."

I laughed, picturing her Border Collie thrashing in their doggie bathtub, and nodded my head.

"Okay, Scar. You want to meet up this week and discuss our plan?" I questioned while pacing the area in front of the oak.

"Yep."

"Okay. Well, why don't we meet at Hideson park in between both of our towns?" I suggested, pausing my pacing.

"You got it, boss." She answered, her tone mocking a soldier talking to her drill sergeant. I snorted at her and ran a hand through my hair.

"Okay, Scar. I'll text you more details later."

"M'kay. Lates."

And with that, I cut the call and let out a deep exhale.

'Fucking hell.'

"Well that was interesting." Ben piped up from next to John and I nodded.

"You can say that again." I muttered with a thick swallow.

'Why do I have this feeling like everything isn't going to end well?'