𝐒𝐫𝐢 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐚.

(𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫.)

🏴

2019-present Sri Lankan Ecnomic Crisis. Probably something that is all over the news these days.

Half a day-long power cuts. Miles long queues to get food, fuel, and cooking gas.

Shortage of electricity, medicine and even paper.

Tourism, textile industry and agriculture came to a complete suspension.

Sri Lanka is in external debt of a total of 51 billion U.S dollars.

15 hour-long power cut a day - that's what Sri Lankans are forced to go through. Students who are facing examinations have to study by candlelight.

People in this country are starving without food to eat. They have to spend nights in day-long queues with empty gas cylinders if they wish to cook a meal for their family.

Some people couldn't even go home or simply celebrate the Sinhala and Tamil new year because they had to spend it standing in line at a fuel station. School travel services are completely halted because of the rise in fuel expenses. People spend nights waiting in line to buy fuel, only to learn that the price has gone up overnight. Nobody can take public transport when the costs go up every single night.

Doctors and medical staff is screaming and shouting about the medicine shortage that's not so far away to occur. Life-saving medicine is running out. Surgeries are getting suspended. Lab tests are reduced. Sri Lanka no longer has access to imported vital drugs. What will happen when all the medicine is eventually over? Is this the fate of the people who fought their lives for this long? Is the management simply going to let them die?

People are starving with nothing to eat, yet they have to pay taxes so the gods above can have three feasts a day. Some kids in this country don't have clothes, yet their parents have to pay taxes so the children of the gods above can buy Gucci and Louis Vuitton.

Yet some people still take the side of the mentioned gods above.

You won't feel the effect of this crisis until the last food item in your house disappears. You won't understand the complexness of this crisis until your vehicle runs out of fuel. You won't feel the seriousness of this crisis until you aren't able to get the prescribed medicine for your mother, father, or yourself. You won't understand the effect of the false management and economic robbery until you spend the last rupee in your wallet.

The people of Sri Lanka became one family, one voice and one community because everyone is affected and hurt by what this governance has driven Sri Lanka into. They are screaming and shouting in frustration because their liberties and freedom have been violated. The whole country is out here protesting as one because this management has stolen their money, their lives, and the future of this country.

The gods above should understand that the protests are not only happening in Sri Lanka but in other countries as well.

It's not only the 51 billion dollars that were stolen by the governance. It was also the future of the country and the new generations they had stolen.

I also have to mention that today is the 21st of April, 2022.It's been three years since the disastrous Easter Sunday Bombing occurred. The bombings were carried out during the Easter services in three churches and Easter breakfasts in three hotels. Almost 300 people were killed, and over 500 people were injured in the incident. But still, to this day, the governance hasn't been able to bring justice to the attackers and victims.

All we want is justice and for this government to resign.

And answering these protests with guns and fire was the most fucked up thing they could've done. Those people who died doing everything they could to save Sri Lanka will always be remembered. My heart goes out to them.

But a simple sound of a gun firing won't stop the raving fire in the heart of a Sri Lankan right now.

#savesrilanka

- 𝐚 𝐬𝐫𝐢 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐚𝐧