Waking Nightmares

The moonlight blanketed over the slumbering Earth below.

A peaceful night in Yoyle City.

Where, at first, the songs of the breeze would keep silence at bay- but tonight, screams pierced through the air, shattering the peaceful illusion of the city.

Ever since the recoveries were made for those who had died, there was a quiet hope that they would be able to get through their haunting past together. They wanted to try and get through it together, with the others offering as much support as they could. But their hopeful outlook on them shattered on that first night- their screams disturbing everyone's peaceful slumbers.

And while some could simply shrug it off, tossing and turning until their exhaustion tuned the screams of terror from their minds, others were too worried to try and ignore the cries that echoed beyond the walls.

Some needed help- beyond their own.

Unfortunately, they refused to listen.

The screams of the team that she had gotten to know reverberated around the walls of Book's bedroom. From Pencil's, to Bubble's- Match's to Ruby's- each shriek and wail prevented her from getting the rest she needed.

These past two weeks had been unimaginably difficult. From their recoveries, to the readjustment of living once more, the shadows of their past still continued to roam freely through the city.

Book swore, she could see Needle by the abandoned museum- and the two scientists respectfully standing by Golfball's underground factory. What was once their normal, now plaguing their exhausted minds as they began to tread through the waters of recovery.

When they had emerged from the lab, Pencil decided that the best plan of action would be to find a new house to live in. She didn't specify why- but the Freesmarters knew that Match wouldn't have the fortitude to try and set foot into their beloved clubhouse again.

Nobody objected. Even if the house they chose was, in their eyes, so ten years ago.

The first steps into a new house should carry the hopes of a fresh start, a positive outlook on the future of one's own life. But with the Freesmarters, their steps signified the beginning of a nightmare, one that they would never be able to wake up from.

Such as tonight. Book used to wake up the way they did- screaming, kicking, even punching the wall in her sleep- but with time, she taught herself to swallow that fear, keeping her screams locked within the chamber of her petrified heart.

Getting used to the screams didn't take too long, but tonight?

Tonight was different.

Her heart was throbbing within her chest, slamming back and forth against her pages with her repressed emotions being locked within. She could push against it- she shut herself up many times before. It shouldn't be any different now.

But life- life. How could it be so unfair?

She sacrificed it all in order to keep the others safe.

She gave it her all to try and keep their spirits from falling into the grasp of darkness.

She was there for everyone- she shared their fears, even cradling the extra weight of their pains so they could have a moment to breathe.

But it had all been for nothing. Seeing as to how she was brushed aside twice, Book couldn't help but let the volcano of rage seethe within her.

It wasn't fair.

They all had someone. Someone that they could lean on, no matter what.

There was someone there to listen to them.