Garden Tips & Tricks

The smell of butter wafted through the air.

As did the sounds of popping. Kernels sprung from the bowl, even as it turned with the accompanying hum of the microwave. Through the little glass door, Pen would watch, his hand resting on the side of his cheek.

Days had passed since the incident at the LIVE Hotel. And with the passage of time, Pen found himself readjusting to the sense of normalcy that was slowly creeping back once more.

He wouldn't shy away from it; what happened left him with nightmares. The first two nights after the tragedy reduced him to a panicking, flailing mess, unable to grasp the threshold of reality. Hell, he had accidentally slapped Eraser a few times, even when he tried to help ground his boyfriend from the chaos.

As days went by, the nightmares dwindled into nothingness. Pen was scared, but he had grown to handle his fear. It was how he defeated that silly monster underneath his bed, after all.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The sound of the microwave snapped Pen out of his morning stupor. Rubbing his eyes, he opened the door, taking the bowl of freshly-popped popcorn into his arms.

"Why are you making popcorn at 8 in the morning?"

A voice that made Pen yelp, his arms twitching and nearly dropping the bowl onto the ground. Bits of popcorn flew around his face from the surprise, and once he regained his balance, a pout formed on his face, unable to stop himself from containing his frustration.

His frustration towards his older sister, Pencil.

"Why are you in my HOUSE at 8 in the morning?" Pen asked, watching as she crossed her arms over her chest. Her scarf swayed with every movement she made, and he noticed how it had become looser.

Something that made Pencil lose her mind in the past.

Sighing, the writing utensil looked down at her younger brother. "Hey, I'm just here to check up on you," she uttered. "Gotta be the older sister here."

"And who let you in?!" Pen asked.

"Think, Ink-for-brains! Who else are you living with?"

A usual nickname Pencil had given her little brother. She still remembered the day she made it; when the two of them were still tiny, and when Pen found himself irritating the life out of her. A smile formed on her face, as she noticed the pink parallelogram making his way around her with a yawn.

"Babe," Eraser uttered. "Why does your sister get up so early..."

Pen placed his bowl down, walking over to give his boyfriend a hug. "Because she's weird," he uttered, smirking at the scowl that dropped on Pencil's face.

"I heard that!"

"Whatever."

"Did I make a mistake by letting her in?" Eraser asked, sinking into Pen's arms. He rubbed his eyes, clearing them from the sleepiness that attempted to shut him down.

It was ironic, he had to admit it. Pen was usually the one who struggled to get himself up in the morning. But after that fire, Eraser found himself waking up in an empty bed, for Pen was already starting his day.

He used to think Pen took morning walks when he woke up before he did. Or, perhaps organizing the house that they had both shared. Maybe preparing breakfast for both of them?

Nope.

Instead, Eraser recalled stepping out of the bedroom to find his boyfriend on the sofa, sniveling pathetically with a tub of ice cream in one hand, and a book in the other. He tried to ask Pen what he was reading, but all he got in response was a wavering cry about "the duckling who lost his mother."