04 | Lies

Kiara

He snapped out of his trance to look at me in surprise. "No."

This guy really has the audacity to lie to me after exposing his lover-boy face.

"Don't you dare lie to me! You have a crush on her, don't you?"

He widened his eyes and shook his head, indicating to me to stop, but I was not going to let him get away with this one.

"I had to lie to my mom and come here which is--by the way--almost an hour away from my place!" The fury was burning in me. "You--" I was forced to stop talking when he shoved the straw of his coke in my mouth.

"Ew!" I cried as I spat it out.

He chuckled nervously and looked up, his eyes big and twinkling--as if he was a whole different person than he was with me. "Hey, Chloe," he cooed, dragging the 'Hey.'

Making a weird face at his sudden fruity voice, I glanced up to see the waitress from before staring at me with concern.

"Are you all right?" she asked.

"Yeah, I am fine." I plastered a smile on my face before shooting a glare at Hayden.

"So, how have you been?" he piped up with a voice that I never even knew he had.

Chloe turned to him and grinned widely. "I'm doing great, Hayden! And you?"

"Oh, I'm fine!" Hayden answered, a little too enthusiastically.

"Well, that's good to know. Chris and I expected you at the reunion this year. But you never turned up." She suddenly sounded worried as she studied his face.

I noticed his eyes lose their spark at the mention of Chris's name, his wide smile immediately faltering.

"Oh, the two of you are still together?" The disappointment was obvious in his voice.

Chloe somehow seemed oblivious to the sudden change in his behaviour. "Yeah, it's been three years!" She beamed at him.

"Congrats." Hayden forced a tight-lipped smile at her.

"Thanks." Chloe diverted her attention to me now. "So introduce me to your new girlfriend!"

"What? No!" I almost choked on the air itself. "I'm not--" I looked at Hayden, hoping he'd clear up the misunderstanding, but to my disappointment, he just sat there looking like he had been stung by a bee.

But slowly, I saw the corners of his mouth tug upwards into a mischievous grin.

I knew that look all too well because of my sister, but I did not understand why on earth he would use that smile on me. He was proving to be more and more of a creep.

"Yep, she's my girlfriend." He flashed a grin at me, sickeningly. "Chloe, meet Kiara. My girlfriend."

What the heck was he rambling on about now? Did he hit his head on the way here or something? What is wrong with him?!

I blinked at him in disbelief while he motioned to Chloe with his eyes. Frowning, I mouthed a 'What?', but he just facepalmed in response.