One \\ A Choppy Start to the Year

One \\

"In more recent and quite alarming news, a family not too far from us here in Devenford was brutally murdered last night. Only the youngest son of the Walcott family survived the attack and is said to be in recovery at the memorial hospital in Beacon Hills."

Koda lifted an eyebrow, checking her watch as she put down her bag on the table of her apartment. She'd have to go tell Brett. Changing out of her scrubs, the twenty-three year old came back in jeans and a light gray top.

Still, the tv went on.

"Sheriff Stilinski of Beacon County Sheriff's Station is now head of this case and has only told us that Sean Walcott is safe and he will get justice for whoever did the heinous deed."

Grabbing her car keys after pulling on her coat, Koda turned off the television in the main room of the two bedroom apartment. Hopping back in the car not eight minutes from when she'd arrived from Devenford General Hospital, she was on her way to the school in town.

Devenford Prepatory was a massive school, rebuilt only a few years ago with the best facilities. It looked like a college campus, sitting between a restaurant and a shopping center.

Koda let her hair down from the clip and tossed it into her glove compartment. Rustling her long dark waves, she pulled up to the back parking lot by the lacrosse field.

Lacrosse had been a foreign thing upon arriving in California six years ago, but Koda always guessed that was why Brett loved it so much.

"Hey, Coach," Koda called, her boots hardly making a sound on the grass as she approached the team in the middle of conditioning.

"Talbot." Coach Redd smiled, his white cap pulled down the block the sun and his whistle hanging on his chest. "How are ya, kid?"

"Good. Only hoping I could grab my brother for a minute." Koda watched the suicide runs not take the breath out of any of the players.

"Got a minute? I'll give him to you once they finish their runs." Redd blew his whistle out to his players, "What is this? Knitting club? Faster!"

"So, found a viable replacement for Liam, yet?" Koda knew Liam from him playing with the team, the school itself an 8-12 grade academy. She glanced back to the school she graduated from for a only a second.

"I've got eager replacements coming out of my ears but none of them have what Dunbar had." Coach hit another whistle blow, insulting them yet again by asking if they wanted dresses to go with their heels. "I could use another like your brother, to be honest." He groaned, cutting away from Koda again. "Okay, that's enough! It's too painful to watch this."

Brett jogged over before Redd called him out, able to know his sister was there the moment she arrived. "Hey, K. What's going on? I still have two hours until I need to be picked up."

"I know." Although she was a foot shorter, she still held superiority over him. She glanced over her shoulder and moved the pair of them towards the empty bleachers. "The Walcotts were murdered last night."

Brett pushed back his damp hair, barely covered in sweat from suicide runs. "What, the wendigos?" He lowered his voice, "All of them?"

"Sean's at the hospital in Beacon Hills but the others are dead." Koda said, "Satomi will more than likely call a pack meeting. I'm guessing she already knows, or at least she's about to."

"Is a pack meeting necessary? They were only wendigos. Shouldn't we just keep our heads down?" Brett's green eyes scanned the field before returning to Koda.