59. Gender reveal

~song of the day~
What now - Rihanna

The week passes slowly, and I was stuck with the same old yet comfortable routine- home to school, to the hospital, and back home

The week passes slowly, and I was stuck with the same old yet comfortable routine- home to school, to the hospital, and back home. And I was very much happy with this lifestyle. The weeks before these days had been nothing but chaos, forcing me to appreciate the normality of my past life.

Today, I received a reply from the University of Kentucky. I had applied to only two schools-The University of Miami and Kentucky. To be quite honest, I had no idea what I wanted to study. I don't know what I want to become in the future, and I don't even know if college is right for me. But my father suggested I apply as a backup plan for whatever I really wanted to do in life.

I wasn't much enthusiastic about college as I was about leaving New York City. The University of Miami sent me a reply last week, and I didn't get in. Now, only Kentucky is left, and I wish I had applied to more schools instead of being so nonchalant about it.

"I could always babysit Chloe and the new baby for you," I say to Shelia while helping her make a meal for breakfast. My father had suggested getting extra help for Shelia, but she refused, stating that she would get nauseous and feel irritable if she did nothing all day.

"I'm sure you'll get in," She smiles in return, flipping the pancake on the pan. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I certainly didn't want to quell Shelia's enthusiasm, so I remain quiet.  

"Do you have any idea for what you want to major in?" Sheila asks after a moment of silence.

I shake my head, cutting up apples into a bowl. Ever since Shelia's pregnancy, she craved apples more than anything. She also couldn't eat the food she makes. Not because she doesn't like them, but because she was the one who made them. So, while Shelia made food for Chloe, Harry, and my dad, my dad always made her food.

Since I'm around a lot more, I had been making Shelia's meals for her. Dad and Shelia never directly asked Gray and me about the strange happenings a few weeks ago. They only knew what everyone in our community knew. That we were involved in a group of fights with some gang members from the Bronx, and as a result, Luca died, and Ashley got shot.  They didn't know about Fawn either. We had to keep her involvement a secret for Kayden's sake and the safety of our community. A herd of parents would come for the school's head if they knew their not-so-innocent children were in a classroom with a notorious gang member, so the secret was best for everyone.

"I haven't looked at my options yet."

"Well, you should. You might find something you like," Shelia shrugs.

I just want to be ridiculously rich without working. Is that too extreme to ask?

"I doubt," I mutter under my breath before walking towards the dining area with a bowl in my hand.

Harry sits at the dining table, burying his face in a novel- the art of war. He stretches his arms out without looking away from his book and tries to grab an apple piece. I swipe the bowl say from his grasp, and he ends up feeling the table for the bowl. When he doesn't find it, he drops his book with a thud and looks at me, sighing softly.