24. Open up

~song of the day~
Princesses Don't Cry - Aviva

~song of the day~ Princesses Don't Cry - Aviva

Ignoring the blurring calls of my name, I ran. She said it was a mistake, but how do you make a mistake that changes, not just one, but two people's lives.

I didn't know where I was going, but I knew I didn't want to stay there, listening to all her bullshit. You'd think after walking for almost three hours, I wouldn't have the strength to run, but I did.

Keeping my breathing steady, I push harder and go faster. Adrenaline courses through my veins while fear and anger cloud my mind.

The fact that my father refused to speak made me realize she wasn't lying.  My mind was frantic with thoughts, "Is it truly possible that the man I've known my whole life wasn't my dad?"

Cold air bit into my lungs, and after several thrusts forward, my legs became tired. My breath came in short gasps, and I lean on the wall for support.

The wall fails me, and I fall to the ground, crouching my knees, breathing in real slow. The hard pump in my chest wasn't only from running, but from feeling alone, lost, and sad.

Whenever I feel sad, I go to my dad. His infinite hugs, familiar woodsy scent, and warm embrace never failed to ease my sadness.

But I couldn't go to him now, for he is the center of my sadness this time.

I remove my hat and sigh, letting my head fall into my laps. Suddenly, everything else that ever made me feel unhappy felt so minuscule.

Eventually, I stand up and drag my legs across the concrete floor, following the sunset blindly.

Through teary eyes, I find myself admiring
the beautiful colors of the sunset. Crimson, amber and tangerine beams were thrown into the dusty sky, its beautiful colors, enveloping the heavens gracefully.

I halt when I find myself at the edge of a lake. A lake view I knew all too well. My sight begins to blur with tears as my mind wanders back to the last time I was here with dad.

I had missed his birthday because I had a cheer competition that day, so I ordered a meal from his favorite restaurant and brought him here later in the evening because this place was where my mum told him they were having a baby.

He had said it was the happiest day of his life. The day he found out I existed. Hearing him tell me the story of when my mum showed him the CT scans never fails to put a smile on my face.

I wasn't proud of a lot of things in my life, but I was super proud of my dad and his love for me. He never failed to make me feel special. But now I couldn't help but feel like a burden. He had showered all that love on someone who wasn't even his child.

I sit on the grass and lean on the maple tree. I stare at the lake, and my eyes fill to the brim with tears. I didn't even know what to believe anymore.