35. Safe Place

~song of the day~
We belong together - Mariah Carey

  ~song of the day~  We belong together - Mariah Carey

The car ride home was a very silent one. After shooting at the door, Jay had pushed us out and locked the door behind him.

We didn't know what happened to him after that, but we- well, I- decided to be optimistic. I didn't know how Gray felt.

He had barely said a word since we got into the car and just held my hand as he kept staring at the back of the driver's seat.

Aaron and Zyair were in the car with us, and while Aaron drove, Zyair sat at the passenger seat.

Gray kept caressing my hand with his thumb unconsciously, his eyes a shade of light red. I could tell leaving Jay alone was affecting him a lot more than he let on.

I rest my head on his shoulders and feel his tensed muscles relax when my head makes contact with his shoulders.

He raises his left hand and places it on my cheeks, stroking my face gently without saying a word.

"Do you need-, " Zyair turns his head but stops mid-sentence when he sees Gray and me.

He leans back on his chair. "They are fine," He mutters to Aaron.

"Should I take you to the hospital or your house?" Aaron asks, staring at us through the rearview mirror.

"The hospital," Gray says

"My house," I reply at the same time.

Gray's eyes are focused on my bruised hands, and I raise my head to him. "My hands are fine. I can care for them at home."

Gray leans forward and taps the headrest of the driver's seat. "The hospital."

"Gray, please. I don't want to go to the hospital, " I drew my brows together as I plead with him.

Going to the hospital would make everything all too real. And in the town we lived in, no one minded their business. I didn't want to imagine the multiple stories that would swirl around if I went to the hospital with evident handcuff bruises.

Gray stares at me for a while before he sighs. "So home or hospital?" Aaron asks.

"Home."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silence again.

We had just gotten home, and Gray literally carried me all the way upstairs and into his room, turning a deaf hear whenever I tell him my legs were doing just fine.

I was seated on his bed while he was on his knees, helping to clean my wounds. I made sure not to make any sounds no matter how bad it stung because I didn't want to make him feel worse than he already did about the incident.

I watch as he applies the cream to my bruises and covers it with bandages. His gaze still directed at the floor, refusing to meet my eyes.

"I'm sorry, " He says, using his index finger to rub circles on my palm.