9 • Covered In Smoke

Both Ruby and Ruby 2.0 were walking down a path in the forest to where they came from, while eating their own apples.

Later, Ruby 2.0 took her last bite of her apple, whereas Ruby was halfway done with hers.

"..you sure this is the right way?" Ruby 2.0 asked. "Mhm!" Ruby hummed, somewhat muffled since she was chewing on her apple.

Ruby very soon finished her apple, "𝘖𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘵..?" The both of them were still walking together, though were still questioning if they're going to the right place.

They walked and walked, before stumbling upon a nice spot in the forest with a wide space, and 2 logs on the grass that seemed good for sitting on.

"..do we really have to go back to that SAME place?" Ruby 2.0 said. Ruby thought about it before replying, "hmmm... I guess not, this spot seems good enough anyway." "Ooh, that's what 𝘐 thought!" "Mhm." Ruby hummed.

Ruby 2.0 thought of something and said, "Oh, and right. What were we gonna do here again?" "Hmm..." Ruby thought, "We're just gonna rest here for a while until we're sure it's safe out there." There was a short silence before Ruby 2.0 broke it, "𝘐 think it's safe out there."

Short silence appeared once again, before Ruby replied. "Are.. you sure?" "Yep! ... What could go wrong?" "I-" Ruby paused, "'WHAT COULD GO WRONG'?? MATCH IS STILL OUT THERE!" "Oh.. I forgot..." There then appeared silence.

"I..." Ruby 2.0 looked at Ruby before continuing her sentence. "I think that maybe.. Match is gone? Not like they'd know we're here, would they?" "Maybe, but...-" Before Ruby could finish her sentence, both of them smelled something. They both sniffed harder to make sure, and yeah. They did smell something.

Ruby 2.0 turned around to her side and saw something. "What is 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵?" She pointed to what she saw. Ruby looked to her side as well and looked at the direction Ruby 2.0 pointed at, while also pointing her flashlight at it to see it clearer, and it was... smoke, for some reason. A very tall cloud of smoke.

"Oh my..." Ruby says, shocked. "𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘳..." She murmured, complimenting on how tall the cloud of smoke was.

"..should we investigate?" "I- sh-" Ruby got a bit lost on words since she said that, "'SHOULD WE INVESTIGATE'?? I- ...𝘪𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘰-" "But interesting!~~" Ruby went silent for a bit before replying, "Uuurrgh, fine. I'll think about it... but by then, we should rest." "Right.."

Ruby walked up to a log, Ruby 2.0 followed her. She sat onto the log and still following, sat next to her. Ruby placed her flashlight onto her lap, then appeared comfortable silence.

Ruby 2.0 broke the silence. "Look, there's a moon up there!" She says softly as she pointed up to the sky. "𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘮𝘰𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘢 𝘤𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩.." Ruby murmured. Ruby 2.0 giggled quietly in response. Soon, Ruby wrapped her arm around Ruby 2.0.