Chapter 12 - Ryder

|Nova's POV |

As soon as I walked away from Dani, I knew immediately where I was going. I could no longer see the world in color. As I walked further into town I started to count the different shades of red I could see. My limbs trembled as I walked down the sidewalk from the rage that coursed through my veins. I could feel my blood boiling underneath my skin and I began to wonder if I would combust.

The Connors Hotel quickly came into view as I practically skidded around the corner. I nearly ran for it and darted around the wall into the alley beside it. As I went deeper into the alley, the memory of Dani on her hands and knees flashed in my mind, watering my ferocity. The blackened metal door came into view and I pounded my hand on the frame, shaking the plaque and light above it. The small metal window opened as two familiar dark eyes looked through.

"Yes?" I heard his joking tone.

"Open the damn door, Charlie." I growled. "I need to see Bradley. And I have a fight tonight." His eyes grew wide for half a second before closing the small eye port and unlocked the door. It clicked a few times before the massive door creaked open. Charlie stepped aside when he noticed my face.

Without even looking at him I stomped down the stairs. The smell of blood, cigarettes and sweat stung my nostrils as it always did whenever I set foot into this place. Looking around I noticed the cage the same place it had always been, the center of the room. I could see Joshua and Tyler fighting in the center, blood was coming out of Joshua's mouth. There was a small crowd gathered around watching, those who had placed bets, but not many. Most people were in the VIP booths or at the bar.

"Nova! You're early. Josh and Tyler will be done in like two minutes, do you want to spar before your match?" Kyle appeared at my side suddenly. He kept up with my quick pace as I walked past the table of dancing women. I said nothing and he slowly broke off from my side, surely after noticing that I was not in any kind of talking mood.

I walked past the bar, past the bathroom and around the corner to the hallway of locked doors for private parties. A big red door at the end of the hallway with the word Connors across the front immediately caught my attention. Without knocking, I bolted through the door.

Bradley was the picture perfect of easy. His assistant was standing at his side as she watched him sign paperwork. She was startled by my sudden burst through the door, making her jump. Bradley looked up from small reading glasses that sat at the bridge of his nose.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" I demanded.

He quietly sat up straight, taking his time, as he took off his glasses. He cleared his throat, grabbed the papers on his desk, handed it to his assistant and waved her off. She scurried past me out the door and closed it behind her.

"What can I help you with Ryder?" He asked, intertwining his fingers and leaning back into his chair.

"Who the hell do you think you are to go up to someone I know and practically threaten them?" My fingers were shaking but I wasn't afraid. I was livid.

"I never threatened her." His voice was too calm. He knew what I was talking about.

"She could be a distraction?"

"She could be." He replied.

"That's a load of shit and you know it! Don't have your men follow me around, I don't need you to tell me what a distraction is and isn't." He nodded but I knew that didn't mean he agreed. "Listen to me, Bradley-"

"No! You listen to me, Nova." I flinched at the sound of my first name. I hated it being said here. He practically spit my name as he shot up from his chair and leaned into me with his hands on his desk. "No one, in the last 15 years, you or Kyle's age, have made it into the tournament. You have talent, kid. You can bring both of us a lot of money. I won't let some random girl ruin that for us. Need I remind you that you're under contract?" I wondered if there was steam coming out of my ears.