HWT Sequel - 04

Goosebumps.

Goosebumps are the first thing I feel when I hear the sound of his voice. I know who it is right away. How could I not? But still, I couldn't let myself panic without confirmations. This wasn't the time to make wild assumptions. I had to keep a level head at all times. Regardless, of what was at stake.

"Who is this?" I ask with a shaky breath.

"Oh, come on now, Dani. You can't recognize the sound of my voice?" You can hear the smile in his voice.

I feel my hands immediately begin to tremble as the realization hits me. Bella and Will are looking at me and I close my eyes to avoid their gaze. I needed to keep calm to avoid any panic. I take a deep breath to settle my nerves again before I finally speak again,

"Bradley."

Bella moves her hand up towards her mouth and lets out a soft gasp. I watch as Will's hands clench themselves into fists. The color immediately drains from their face.

"Ah, you're smarter than I thought." The humor in his voice made my blood boil.

"How..." I gulped, "How did you find us?"

"Dani, you underestimate me."

I stare at the brown table in front of me and count the seconds as I wait for him to continue.

"What do you want?" I ask when silence comes from the other end.

He scoffs, "Why the rush? Can't we catch up first?"

My free hand clenches, "I'm not playing any of your games, Bradley. Why are you doing this?" I breathe the words through clenched teeth.

"Then let's not play games," He agrees, suddenly very serious, "Do you really think that you can run from me?" I press my lips together.

"You have no idea who you're dealing with, Dani." He continues after taking a moment to judge my silence, "I don't think you ever really understood. I have eyes all over the country, not just in that silly little town of yours. I could have you all dead tonight if I really wanted."

Bella and Will sit across from me and patiently wait with wide eyes and trembling fingers for me to say the next thing. I can see them trying desperately to code what Bradley could be saying from the other line.

I take another deep breath, "So then why don't you?"

He chuckles, "Where is the fun in that?"

"Why are you doing this?" I feel my nostrils flare. I was so done with the games. If he could take me out as easily as he claims he can, then what was he getting at?

There is a brief moment of silence on the other end of the line, "Why don't you ask my dead son?" He says in a low, vicious voice.

"He was going to kill me first!" I tried my hardest to keep my voice down but the heat inside my chest made me feel as if I was going to explode.

"Yes, well, I never claimed he was perfect." He hesitates, "I really didn't want to lose you and Nova this way. I really thought you two would have been an incredible addition to my glorious empire. We could have all been very happy if you could have just. been. patient."

He sighs, "No matter. I'm sure you understand my reputation needs to be protected. I can't let you live knowing that you're the reason my son is dead."

"So now what? You're going to just hunt us down like rabbits until your heart's content?"

"Mmm, tempting but no. I've actually made contact with you to offer you a deal. All this can be over tonight, if you want it to be."