Prologue

Audrey hefted her suitcase up the narrow stairs. At the top the room expanded into a decent sized open area, already furnished with a single bed, dresser, and desk that sat by a window, over looking the stables. She placed her suitcase on the bed and made one full circle taking it all in. The roof slanted but it wasn't enough that it felt claustrophobic. She quickly emptied the contents of her suitcase into the dresser, putting one photo on the desk. Checking the knife attached to her ankle, she climbed back down the stairs.

The first floor held a small kitchen, dining room space, a medium sized living room and another set of stairs leading to the room opposite her's. Off the living room was a bathroom she would be sharing. She walked around the downstairs to get the feel, most of the walls were covered in windows and Audrey felt as if she was almost outside the breeze blowing in one side and out the other. She stepped outside and found Mr. Aster standing there next to an older man dressed in a butlers uniform.

"Audrey, how do you like the place?" Mr. Aster said, his voice held a note of clear authority with a touch of friendliness.

His hair was black, sprinkled with gray that somehow added to his handsome face and strong stature. Audrey had noticed that no matter how loud he made his voice it always commanded attention, she knew this must come from years of running a billion dollar corporation.

"It's perfect." Audrey said.

"Great. This is Mr. Edwards. He is the house manager and will be the one to talk to when you can't find or contact me."

"It's pleasure to meet you miss." Mr. Edwards said, bowing his head at Audrey.

She felt Edwards was the embodiment of what she imagined a British butler to be, classy, poised and proud of his position. Like Mr. Aster his work was his life.

"Same here." Audrey said.

"Let's walk down to the stables, shall we. That will be all Edwards." Mr. Aster said.

Edwards bowed his head and walked back down the path to the large manor house. The stables stood a few yards off from Audrey's new place and the main house. The dark wood of the stables held the same elegant design as the richly designed manor.

Each of the horses stalls were as big as her room and freshly kept. Where most stables held a smell, as was normal, this stable smelled of fresh hay and Spring air. The center aisle was concrete and not a piece of hay marred its surface.

"Your cover will be working here, when Charlotte doesn't need your protection. The agency said you worked with horses, that is correct?" Mr. Aster asked.

"Yes, that's correct. Who do you have working with horses at this moment?" Audrey asked.

They walked down the center, their shoes tapping out an even beat.

"Mr. Grey but he will be retiring and I have hired a young man to help you with the stables and can take over for you if you're needed else where." Mr. Aster said.

"Is he the person who lives in the room on the other side of the house?"

"Yes, his name is Peter, I think you will get along with him, he works hard and has wonderful references." Mr. Aster said.

"Great. Are all the horses polo horses or do you have riding horses as well?" Audrey asked.

They came to stand next to one of the stalls that held a dark brown mare.

"All of them are polo horses though the players have their favorites, Jefferson, Lincoln, Teddy and Washington. Kennedy and Jackson seem to be the favorites just for riding." Mr. Aster said.

"All presidents names." Audrey said.

"Yes, they all seem to take on the former owners personality at times. You can get more aquatinted with them later. I would like to introduce you to the staff and my family before I must leave." Mr. Aster said.

Audrey nodded and followed him out of the stable. They crossed a large lawn to the edge of the house. They climbed the couple stairs to the porch that surrounded the entire house and walked along it until they reached a side door. Mr. Aster opened it for Audrey and she stepped into an elegant library, decorated with bookshelves up to the ceiling and long couches that faced each other and armchairs that hide away in their own corners. The carpet was a dark maroon and blended with the dark maple wood of the shelves. Tall windows on two sides of the room let is soft shafts of light, giving the room a cozy feeling despite the size.

Mr. Aster led the way through and into a large entry way that held a set of stairs and more doors leading off it as well as a few hallways. He called for Edwards and he appeared within seconds.

"Yes sir?" Edwards said.

"Please call everyone down, I want to introduce Ms. Wood to them." Mr. Aster said.

Edwards walked away and Mr. Aster turned to Audrey.

"I'll have Edwards show you around the house after introductions are finished." Mr. Aster said.

Edwards arrived a second later with five other household employees as well as three large security men. They all lined up and went down the line introducing themselves. Once everyone was introduced they were all dismissed and Mr. Aster called for his family to meet them.

Mrs. Aster was a tall blonde woman with a willowy figure and a graceful manner. Charlotte resembled her mother with her blonde hair and thin frame and Lilly her younger sister looked like her father, with her dark hair but had an easy manner she wore with pride. Audrey worried about Charlotte's response to her being hired but relaxed when Charlotte smiled.

"I'm so glad daddy hired you, taking one of the security guards with me to clubs was not working, they were to big and drew too much attention to me. You should be perfect. Do you own any dresses? I don't want to be seen with a girl who wears a black suit to prove she's a body guard." Charlotte said.

Audrey smiled.

"Unfortunately I do not own a dress though I don't own a black suit either." She said.

"That's fine I'll find you something, you look about my size. Well I'm off, Liddy is waiting for me. Bye daddy." Charlotte said, kissing her father's cheek and walking out the front door.

Audrey watched her leave and wondered if she needed to follow her.

"It's nice to meet you, Audrey if you need anything just let me know." Mrs. Aster said, her voice soft and motherly.

"Thank you, ma'am." Audrey said.

Mrs. Aster walked off and Mr. Aster turned his body towards Audrey.

"Here is a list of your job requirements and welcome aboard." Mr. Aster said.

He handed her an envelope and shook her hand.

"I'll call Edwards to show you around." Mr. Aster said.

He started to call out but Lilly stopped him.

"I can show her around." Lilly said.

"Alright then. Have a good day, pumpkin." Mr. Aster said kissing the top of Lilly's head.

He left the entryway in the opposite direction that they had came and down a hallway.

"Come on, I'll show you around." Lilly said, taking Audrey's hand. "I think I'm going to like you." She said smiling up at Audrey.

"Well, I can't say no to a new friend." Audrey said.

____________________________

Hi again!

So you made it this far, I for one am completely surprised.

Question: am I allowed to be self deprecating? Cause I feel like doing so right now. It wasn't a great start and I really hope the first chapter turns out better!

With that said let's move forward and see if we're so lucky! (I'm talking to like the two people who are mildly curious.)

Oh before you go if you feel like voting or even dropping off a comment I would be honored. Thanks anyways for just reading this!