Chapter 19

"Happy Birthday Lilly!" Audrey said, poking her head around Lilly's door before walking in.

"Thanks! I'm sixteen!"

Lilly jumped up and down and danced around her room. She fall on to her bed backwards, smiling up at the ceiling.

"Can you believe it!" She said, resting her head on her hand.

"Of course, you seem so much more mature than you were yesterday." Audrey said.

"Really?"

Audrey smiled.

"Audy, what did you do on your sixteenth birthday?"

Audrey's smiled decreased a centimeter.

"I had dinner at a really nice restaurant with my parents."

"Did you get any presents?"

"Sure, I just can't remember what they were. Speaking of presents I have something for you."

"Really?"

Lilly jumped up and moved to Audrey.

"Now I always think a girl should know how to protect herself from anything and so to help you, I got you this."

Audrey handed Lilly a small box. Lilly opened it and on a cushion was a small knife with a mother of pearl handle. Audrey had talked to Mr. Astor about the present a week before worried he wouldn't approve, he had but on the condition Audrey teach Lilly how to use it.

"Now you have to promise me you'll never use this to hurt someone innocent and you won't touch it before you have lessons with me on how to use it."

"I get to have lessons with you!?"

"Yes, we'll work down near the stables."

"This is the best birthday present ever!"

Lilly hugged Audrey tightly and Audrey let herself hug Lilly back.

"You say that now but wait until you see what your parents got for you. Now I believe there is a breakfast waiting for you; you should get going." Audrey said.

"Okay."

Lilly placed the box and knife in her top drawer of her vanity. She paused at the door and looked back at Audrey.

"Aren't you coming?"

"I think it's just a family breakfast."

"So? It's my birthday."

Lilly walked back and took Audrey's hand pulling her out the door. Down in the dining room Lilly was greeted with shouts of happy birthday from her parents and Charlotte.

"Audrey sit next to me." Lilly said taking a seat at the head of the table.

Audrey smiled at her and happily obliged, feeling awkward as she took the seat across from Mrs. Astor.

"Lilly how does it feel to be sixteen?" Mrs. Astor said, winking at her daughter.

"Amazing, I can already tell that I look more mature."

"Really, cause I can't." Charlotte teased.

"Normally I would stick my tongue out at you but I'm a mature sixteen year old so I won't."

Audrey laughed.

"How very mature of you." Mrs. Astor said.

Audrey watched silently as the family chatted back and forth sharing their favorites stories of Lilly and also adding the embarrassing once for Audrey's sake. Half way through the breakfast Audrey felt as if she was going to burst and stood up.