Chapter 6

"It's nice to see some things never change." James said, strolling into the stables.

His black hair was simply styled and he wore his t shirt and shorts with such ease that Audrey wondered if it came from knowing he always looked good.

"James Bondary." James said, holding his hand out to Lucas.

"We met last night, Lucas Danes." Lucas said, accepting the hand.

"Right. You were the guy who caught Audy here, when she uncharacteristically tripped." James said, his dark blue eyes roaming over her face.

"You're not normally a klutz?" Lucas asked, turning to Audrey.

"Oh no Lucas, Audrey is probably one of the most graceful ladies I have ever met, if she trips then there is a reason." James said.

"Interesting." Lucas said, staring at Audrey.

"James you give me far too much credit, true I'm sure footed but even that fails me when I'm in a dark room or club." Audrey said.

"I guess that's true. So what were you too doing?" James asked, deciding to change the topic.

"I was giving Lucas horse riding lessons." Audrey said, relieved.

She didn't need Lucas suspicious of why she had tripped twice the night before.

"Really? Audy would you give me riding lessons?" James said, his tone playful.

Audrey laughed and Lucas looked confused.

"Why's that funny?" He asked.

"Oh just because next to me James is the best rider in our group." Audrey said, a laugh mixing with her words.

"I'm honored to be put in such high regard." James said.

He smiled at Audrey and bowed his head. The sound of hooves coming down the road made them all turn their heads to see Peter riding Washington into the stable.

"James, good to see you man, it's been awhile." Peter said, hoping off Washington and moving to shake James's hand.

"It has, you've been keeping the stables in fine order, I can see." James said.

Audrey watched as James's easy manner not only extended to those who were on his level but those who were thought of as below him. She knew this to be the reason that where ever he went he was liked by all who met him. Audrey glanced at Lucas and noticed him studying James as well.

"I'll see you around?" Peter asked James.

"Count on it." James said.

Peter led Washington to his stall and reappeared moments later with his saddle and bridle in hand, he came back and in turn led Kennedy and Teddy back to their stalls. Lucas's phone rang and he excused himself to answer it, walking out of the stable before saying hello.

"Hello, Audrey." James said.

His head turned back from watching Lucas's receding figure to face her, his voice was low and holding more meaning then the simple greeting suggested.

"How was Europe?" Audrey asked, keeping her tone casual.

"Uneventful, don't really remember it."

"Really I feel like everyone comes back from Europe and raves about how beautiful it is."

"Well, you weren't there so nothing seemed all that beautiful to me." James said, with a shrug and a small smile.

"I walked right into that one, didn't I?" Audrey laughed.