Chapter 23

"Who do you work for?" Lucas asked.

Audrey didn't answer, her face impassive.

"Where did you train?"

She focused on the traffic and ignored the question.

"Fine, can I at least know your real name?"

Audrey looked at him once and then looked back on at the road.

"Pull in here." Lucas directed.

Audrey turned into an abandoned parking lot.

"Drive over to the building, to the metal door. Scan my badge at that broken pipe."

Audrey did as he said, the broken pipe sending out a beam that scanned Lucas's badge. The metal door opened and Audrey drove down under the building.

"Are you going to uncuff me?" Lucas asked, when they were out of the car.

"No. Now show me where we're going." Audrey said.

"You know I think I like that stupid blonde angle on you better." Lucas joked.

Audrey looked at him flatly.

"Really? Nothing. Come on Audrey you know me."

"No, Lucas or Jamison or whoever you are, I don't."

Lucas nodded in understanding and started to walk. They entered a security entrance and found themselves in wide hallway leading to an elevator.

"Give me a sec." Lucas said, as they stopped in front of the elevator.

Audrey watched as Lucas jumped, pulling his cuffed hands from underneath him so now he was cuffed with his hands in front.

"It needs my hand print, a backwards hand print just isn't the same."

Audrey gave him another blank stare.

He pushed number 23 and the elevator started to raise.

"It might seem weird if I show up like this." Lucas said, gesturing to his cuffed hands.

"Well, I'm sure you can figure out the right words to explain the situation to whoever stops you, I have complete faith in you."

"I appreciate the support." Lucas said, sarcastically.

The elevator dinged and opened onto a balcony over looking a huge room filled with computers, cubicles and rushing people. Lucas turned left and stopped when two girls walked towards them. Audrey could tell they were related, their face shapes similar though one was wearing a smile while the other had a determined look.

"Jay, we just got back, heard you worked on the Emerson case. Nice job." The girl with the serious expression said.

"You should learn to play nice Jay, maybe it would stop people from hand cuffing you." The smiley girl said.

"Thanks for the tip. I'll work on it." Lucas said.

They girls kept moving and Audrey watched their retreating backs.

"Who are they?"

"The Jenkins, you don't mess with them, they're the best." Lucas said.

Audrey looked at him blankly.

"Seriously? They're so young and one of them was really smiley."

Lucas laughed.

"They can do jobs that seem impossible to others, so maybe the smile helps. Come on we're going this way."