Chapter 24

"So where did you really grow up?" Lucas asked.

"What are we trading life stories now that we're on the same side?"

They crawled through the city's traffic, Audrey behind the wheel, the top down and the city sounds crashing around them.

"No, but I figured it would be a good place to start."

"Look Lucas..."

"Jamison, or Jay or Carter, I'm fine with either."

"I'm staying with Lucas, because that's who you are to Charlotte."

"Okay. So where did you train?"

"Lucas, if you want to know me, read my file, but I'm not looking for a friend, I have a job and you are merely one part of it."

"Harsh."

"You work with CIA."

"I just thought you were different."

"I play a role."

"I know that but at times I felt the real you slipped through."

"Only when I knew it would make you feel as if you were getting close."

"It was all an act?"

"Of course, wasn't yours?"

"Yes, lets face it though, that kiss was real."

"Lucas I did it to get your DNA."

He started laughing.

"I knew that hurt more than it should have."

Audrey smiled a little.

"What does this mean for Lucas and Audrey?"

"I don't know, I guess it means you're free. I know Liddy is interested in you, give her a try. As rich playboy its best to have a girl around you or multiple, depending on how you play it."

"I thought I had a girl."

"Lucas don't try to flirt with me."

There was a pause before he responded.

"Okay." He said, turning his head away.

They were silent the rest of the way back to Audrey's bike. She pulled into the parking lot and got out, tossed him the keys and walked away.

"Audrey."

She turned to see Lucas's face serious, his hands fiddling with the keys.

"I'm sorry about your mother."

Audrey was taken aback.

"I'm not sure I know what you mean." Audrey said, playing dumb.

"I'm a spy, I know what this place is and I saw of enough of her face to see the similarities and know she wasn't your grandmother. I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry."

She looked at him blankly for a second before nodding in response and moving back to her bike. She picked up her helmet from were it lay, discarded on the ground and checked it for marks. It looked fine, no sign it had aided her in a fight hours before.

As she drove back home Audrey puzzled over Lucas's words, what did it mean for Audrey and Lucas, people would know that something was up if they just stopped talking to each other. They had been too much together for people not to have their suspicions, she didn't want people anymore curious than they needed to be about their relationship.

There was also the fact that they might start working together to figure out who was the inside man or woman, if there was one; it would be weird for them to not talk to each other in public but then possibly be seen at each other's house. By the time she pulled into the driveway Audrey knew what she had to do. She found Lucas getting out of his car when she walked to the front of the house.