Chapter 29: Midnight Memories.

[A big house party with a crowded kitchen]

      With my hair straightened and light jeans with a black cropped hoodie, I thought I looked presentable. Considering the next day was September 13, it was a pretty special night for one of the boys. I hung the last balloon up in the hotel room and stepped back, proud of my work. The banner hung across the living room entrance with the words 'Happy Birthday, Niall!' written in blue letters.

      The boys got Niall to go out with them for a "special dinner" in Indianapolis while I got a small surprise party together between us and the crew. Everyone loved the idea and I did too. As much as I wish that we could've done it in his hometown, but under the circumstances, we couldn't. I did set up a video call between Niall and his family for the day, so you can say that I'm a good friend. The crew began walking into the room and I fixed some last minute things like the drinks table and the snacks. 

      I sighed and stepped back admiring my work. "Nice job, Emily." I hear James say. I reply with a thank you and feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I glance at the screen and read the message.

From Louis: We're on our way up!

     I feel my heart start beating and put my phone back in  my pocket. "They're on their way up!" I say and everyone scrambles to hide. I turn off the lights and hide behind the couch with my camera on. I hear the door jiggle and open. The lights turn on and we all jump from our places. 

      "Surprise!" We all shout. I take some photos of Niall and his reaction making me smile. He hugs everyone and thanks them and gets to Paul. 

      "Don't thank  us, thank Emily." 

      "Yeah, it was her idea." James says hugging Niall afterwards. 

      Niall looks over at me and runs up to me. He hugs me and twirls me around. I squeal as he does. "Thank you!" 

      He puts me down, "Don't thank me yet." I say letting go of him. I open my laptop and call Maura and Bobby. They answer and I hand the laptop to Niall. His eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning. I smile and Harry comes to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 

      "You did good." He says ruffling my hair. I roll my eyes and fix my hair. 

      "Yeah, yeah."

---

      It was almost midnight and just about to bring out the cake. I light up the candles with the lighter that Louis let me borrow and smile. The simple two layered cake of chocolate and vanilla was covered in white frosting and a simple 'Happy Birthday, Nialler!' was written in red food gel in block letters. I put a '26' candle right on top of it. I checked my phone, 11:59 p.m. I put my phone back in my pocket and sigh. Liam pops his head in, "It's midnight." He says. I nod and motion to the cake. The cake was pretty large for only me to carry. 

      "Help me carry the cake." I instruct. He walks over and helps me lift up the cake. We walk out of the kitchen and begin singing. 

      "Happy birthday to you..." We sang. Niall smiles and I see him start to turn red as he stands up. Everyone else joins in and Niall stops in front of Liam and I. "Happy birthday to you..." He looks up at me, I smile as I sang the song and watch as he smiles. "Happy birthday dear Niall... Happy birthday to you..." He bends over and blows out the candles. I cheer with everyone else and Liam guides me to the island and puts down the cake. 

      We cut the cake and the boys help me bring in presents that we bought when we went shopping. Niall eats his cake happily and smiles when he sees us carry in gifts. Since I obviously don't have as much money as the boys, I didn't get something very big or fancy. "Okay, who's do you want to open first?" Harry asks setting his down.