Chapter 58

They made the front page of the Prophet the following morning. Because of course they did.

The Boy Who Lived and the Death Eater's Son — Friends?

By Rita Skeeter

Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, or as some reports have been calling him, The Chosen One, has been spotted walking around London with none other than Draco Malfoy, son of disgraced Death Eater, Lucius Malfoy. According to our source, the pair looked "quite chummy" as they made their way down Oxford Street for some post-Christmas shopping.

The two chatted amiably as they made their way down Tottenham Court Road before braving the crowds on Oxford Street. By the time they made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron, they had picked up several shopping bags. Though The Daily Prophet was unable to discern what was purchased, the pair looked pleased with their trip.

Mr Malfoy was wearing a pair of tailored trousers and sensible boots paired with a black Burberry car coat. Mr Potter was in jeans and trainers and sported a jacket of unknown origin. Both young men were wearing their respective Hogwarts house scarves...

The article went on to detail what shop they had visited and even included an interview with a very confused Claire who clearly hadn't understood why two teenagers were such a big deal. The article included a picture of them taken from afar, and Harry had to admit, they did look "quite chummy". Because of course they did, they were dating for fuck's sake. Luckily, no doubt thanks to Hermione's blackmailing, Skeeter hadn't gotten close enough to hear any of their conversations or the article could have been much more sensational.

...

"I bloody well told you," Hermione said, brandishing the newspaper at Harry and Draco later that morning and Harry was so surprised to hear Hermione swear that he sat up a little straighter.

"No subtlety," Blaise agreed.

"But everyone knows we're friends," Harry said.

"Maybe the Hogwarts students do," Pansy snapped. "But no one outside of here knew until now." She looked at Draco in concern. "Draco, are you alright?" Draco nodded absently.

"Just, a little concerned about my mum," he said quietly. Shit. How could Harry have forgotten? Narcissa was in a precarious position at the Manor, what with Bellatrix staying with her and all.

"Did you want to talk to her?" Harry asked. Draco shook his head.

"Mother is smart. She'll likely say that I've befriended you for nefarious reasons."

"I'm sure plenty of people will think that," Hermione said darkly. "Don't open any unsolicited mail, Draco. Harry's fans can be a tad overprotective." She clenched her fists before relaxing them and Harry was sure she was remembering fourth year when someone had sent her bubotuber pus after Rita's ridiculous Valentine's Day article.

"I'm sure Narcissa will be fine," Pansy said, putting a hand on Draco's arm. He nodded.

"It's just," he started to say. "No one's ever cared about what I do before." It came out as more of a whine than he wanted it to. Harry let out a surprised laugh.

"Welcome to my world," he said. Draco brought up a hand and massaged his temples.

"How do you live with this?" he asked, dropping his hand after a moment. Harry shrugged.

"It's gotten easier now that some blond twit doesn't quote the articles at me at all hours of the day."

"Charming," Draco said and hit him with a throw pillow.