Chapter 59

The Room obliged them by turning into a replica of Madame Puddifoot's, which Harry detested, but Narcissa seemed delighted by. Harry tried to call Dobby to ask him to bring food, but Dobby took one look at Narcissa, squeaked and disappeared, so Harry called Kreacher instead. Kreacher, of course, was more than delighted to serve a member of the Black family. He bowed so low to the ground upon seeing Narcissa, that Harry started to worry about Kreacher's back. But then, Kreacher had easily swung the Sword of Gryffindor and destroyed the locket, so he clearly wasn't as fragile as he looked.

After about ten minutes, Kreacher returned, bearing a tray laden with several cups of tea and multiple different cakes and pastries. They had to pull up a second table in order to fit everything, but Harry thought that was a good problem to have.

"Thank you, Kreacher," Narcissa said. "Your service is as excellent as I remember it." Kreacher bowed again and Harry could have sworn he saw him wipe away a tear as he left them. Narcissa busied herself pouring tea and handing out sweets. When Harry tried to help, she waved him away.

"Mother takes tea very seriously," Draco said.

"Draco," she said. "You of all people should know that I take all meals very seriously." Draco rolled his eyes.

"Yes, mother loves to entertain," he said drolly.

"You say that like you haven't thrown some of the best parties in our year," Harry said.

"Draco," Narcissa said slowly.

"I'm sorry," Harry said. "I don't have parents. Is that not something you should say someone's mother?"

"Would you have said it to Mrs. Weasley?" Draco asked.

"Well, no, but mostly because Ron doesn't throw very good parties."

"Was that you at Christmas Lunch?" Narcissa asked. "Pansy seemed very vague when I asked her about it earlier." Harry glanced at Draco in a way that he hoped didn't telegraph the truth.

"She knows," Draco said with a small shake of his head. "I don't know how she knows, but she knows."

"In which case, yes it was," Harry said.

"Then I suppose you've experienced my hospitality first hand." Narcissa picked up her teacup and takes a delicate sip. Her nose wrinkles briefly in delight.

"I have and it was wonderful, even despite the dickhead at the other end of the table."

"Harry," Draco cried, but Narcissa only laughed.

"I see why you like him," Narcissa said to Draco, putting a hand on her son's arm. Draco gave her a tight smile and Harry noticed that the tips of his ears had turned red. He found it oddly endearing. Of course, it was surreal to be sitting in the Room of Requirement talking to Narcissa Malfoy, his boyfriend's mother — and Merlin the fact that she was his boyfriend's mother crashed over him all at once. Was he making a good impression? He thought back over what he'd said since they arrived and thought that, no, he wasn't. Luckily, both Malfoys appeared to be ignoring him now, so he just busied himself with drinking his tea.

"I know Father won't approve," Draco said quietly.

"He'll come around," Narcissa said. "Of course, we shan't tell him for the time being." Draco nodded. "I shall tell my sister, who I am sure will tell," her eyes slid to Harry for a moment, "the dickhead, that you are only pretending to be friends with Harry. That should keep them at bay for the moment, but Draco it does make it more imperative that you at least complete one of your tasks."

"I'm working on it," Draco said. "I won't say any more than that so you have some plausible deniability." Narcissa's eyebrows knit together for a moment before her features smoothed out again.