Chapter 15: The Tale of Glee and Guilt

"Violet." Ron's voice cut in sharply, causing Violet to jump. She turned to see the ginger leaning against the wall, his arms crossed tightly around his chest. His stance wasn't particularly intimidating, but she could detect to obvious irritation in his aura.

"What are you still doing in here?" Violet questioned while pulling the elastic from her dark brunet hair.

It all started that one-day when Violet noticed that Harry had a tendency to mutter to himself, a sort of nervous tick.

"What was that?" she asked while writing down the final answer on her parchment and turning to the next page to start the work on a lesson entitled The Effects of the Imperius Curse and How to Resist Them.

"Hm?" Harry looked up from his own textbook.

"You said something. I didn't quite catch it."

"Oh, no, I was only thinking out loud." With a shrug Harry turned back to his work and Violet followed suit, dismissing it with great ease. Several minutes passed as the class continued their work. Violet's eyebrows came together as she intently studied explanatory drawings, which rather horrendously depicted a man fighting against the Imperius curse. She grabbed her white quill and began to fill her parchment: "Although not made unforgivable until 1717, the Imperius Curse is one of the most powerful and sinister spells known to wizardkind. It was created in the Middle Ages and used by dark witches and wizards for the coercion and brainwashi—

"Malfoy's gotta be a Death Eater..." Harry mumbled under his breath. Violet dotted her "i" so ferociously it punctured her parchment. They both looked up at each other; Harry realized he had spoken out loud. He sighed while ruffling his black hair, "Violet, you probably won't believe me, but I have this theory." He spent the last few minutes of class, to the unawareness of the rest of the students and even Snape, discussing with Violet in hushed voices. She wasn't exactly sure why Harry was telling her all this and she didn't think Harry was sure himself, but she listened to every word of it. Harry was right, though, she didn't believe him. I mean, how could Draco be a Death Eater? However, she couldn't deny that there was definitely something up with the Slytherin.

Following that, Harry frequently confided in the girl. This being said, so did Violet. She too had her own questions and suspicions, and after all, Harry had been present that night when Violet had found Draco in the Room of Requirements.

"Hey Violet, wait up," Harry called as Violet and Emma were leaving the Great Hall, one Saturday morning. "Can I talk to you...alone?" he shifted awkwardly, shooting Emma a smile. The second girl pursed her lips, simultaneously giving Harry one long look up and down

"I'll be in the common room," Emma finally said, turning away.

Harry waited till Emma was out of earshot and then pulled Violet aside. "So I haven't even told Ginny this yet," he started off slowly, "and I doubt Ron and Hermione think it's a good idea for me to be talking about this." He glanced over his shoulder before continuing, "But, by any chance, do you know what a Horcrux is?"

"A what?" she stuttered.

"A Horcrux. Yeah, I didn't think you would, but it was worth a shot," he adjusted his glasses.

"Why do you ask?"

Harry paused for a moment, visibly deciding how much to tell her, "Er, just something Dumbledore mentioned."

"Maybe you could check the library?" Violet suggested in a lowered tone as a group of Hufflepuffs walked pass.

"Hermione's already done that," he rubbed his chin, "The restricted section too."