Chapter 5. Worse Than Bad

Remi's POV

Relationships were hardly my thing. I wasn't good at them either—much like Luis. Luis broke hearts on purpose and went out of his way to get that girl to fall for him and then leave her. I, however, was just brutally honest. If I didn't have feelings for a guy, I said it. If something pissed me off bad enough, I would dump them. I didn't take any shit, and I warned Luis of that too—even if it was fake, I wouldn't tolerate disrespect.

It had already been a few days since we told everyone that we were a couple. Kat was insanely excited, and the fact disgusted me. Lu even smiled at me in some weird way. My dad was happy too and wished me luck with the relationship.

So far, we had held hands and hadn't kissed since we 'sealed the deal,' as Luis put it. Kissing him was strange, and yet it gave me an unexplainable adrenaline rush, which boys like him usually gave girls that feeling—it was a warning that he would break her heart, and her heart knew it before she did. It could be compared to a near-death experience, where your heart stops beating and suddenly picks back up faster than it should.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I asked over the roar of his motorcycle.

He looked back at me and gave me a cheeky grin. "No way."

Luis showed up and told me we were going on a pretend date because we had to make it 'real.' It seemed ridiculous to me. Only once before this, we sat in his room half the day and watched movies. 

Moments later, we pulled up to an indoor paintball park. I climbed off the bike and stared at the building, a little dumbfounded.

Luis climbed off and looked at me with a smile. "What do you think?"

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Okay," I said and shrugged. "Prepare to surrender first. I love paintball guns."

"You're on." 

We had to rent the guns. I shot Luis the first three times, laughing like a lunatic the entire time. Luis's expression was like a deer caught in the headlights. 

The two of us laughed and played and shot at each other but all in fun. 

"You're insanely good at that," Luis said as we walked back toward his bike. Luis had been the one to surrender—I won.

Before I could climb onto the bike behind Luis, my phone rang. 

"Hello?"

"Remi, Nobody is home. Where are you?" Dad asked.

"With Luis," I said.

"Stay at Lu and Kat's place for the night. Ryan and I won't be back until the morning."

"Um, okay. . ." I trailed off. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine." 

"Okay, bye."

"Bye." 

Luis looked at me, confused. "What?"

"Um, I have to stay with you. Well, if that's okay? Dad and Ryan are gone. I guess nobody is at home. He didn't seem to want to say too much," I explained.

"You can stay," Luis said. His expression grew concerned.

"Do you think it has to do with—"

"Get on the bike. Don't ask questions." Luis's expression grew dark, making it clear that I needed to keep my nose out of it. 

I sighed and climbed on the bike behind him.

Luis seemed in a bigger hurry to get home than he had been to get to the paintball park. I considered that something went wrong, but I hated the thought. Different negative thoughts danced through my head—no matter how hard I tried pushing them out.