Family

When I woke up the light had changed outside. I had dreamed of a man with dark hair and blue eyes. He warned me against telling my family of my gift, and as I started to wake up he whispered “I love you,” and kissed my forehead.

  The blanket that was around me had come undone, but it didn’t matter.  I was plenty warm. There were fewer voices in my head now, which I guessed was a good thing. The man with the bronze hair, who had come to assume to be my father, was still looking over my mother.   I couldn’t locate the voice of the man who had brought me into the room. My sister was ranting about someone named Jacob. There were two more female voices and one male voice that I did not recognize. 

I lay on the bed for a little longer taking in my surroundings. The walls of the room were dark wood panels except for the back wall which was glass, facing out over the forest. The bed was a dark wood with a soft moss color comforter. There were two small bedside tables. One was covered with books and the other had a lamp along with what looked someone’s knitting. 

The voices in my head became quieter and I traveled in and out of dreamland for a bit longer before my stomach began to protest at the lack of food that it was receiving.  I waited and waited thinking that someone had to come and feed me sooner or later. No one came. 

Maybe they had left? No, I could still hear their thoughts. They were there, next idea. There is something that is super important, and they don’t have the time to look after me. No, that wouldn’t work my sister was down there with them. Could they have forgotten about me? 

Well yes, they could have. Carlisle and my father were the only ones who had known about me. My father hadn’t left mu mothers side. Carlisle wasn’t in the home, but surely he would have spread the great news about the other new addition to the family. Whatever the case, it didn’t seem that anyone was coming for me. I sat there on the bed and waited.

It wasn’t until Carlisle got home a day later that someone remembered me.  I was taken down stairs the family was quickly absorbed with me, trying to feed me disgusting salty substance in a metal bottle. I refused time and time again, but eventually my stomach won out and I drank the liquid. 

My sister was furious. She hated that I was now receiving all of the attention.  It was now that she chose to finally demonstrate her gift. When Jake let out a small screech, he had everyone’s attention. He explained what Renesmee had just shown him, and just as quickly as the attention had been given to me, it was taken back. I ended up on the couch, sitting on the couch with a dog that hated me and Emmett who was supper absorbed in the football game. We waited for Mother. I thought that maybe she might be the one to love me, but the second that she walked in the door all that she cared about was Nessie, even when that wolf wouldn’t let her go. 

After Mother attacked the dog who had been on the couch with me, she came back inside, and finally noticed me. “Who is this?” She asked Edward.

He looked at me, “This is your other daughter. We were waiting for you to name her, since you had such a specific name for Renesmee.” 

She peered down at me, “Oh, I didn’t know that there were two. Rosalie, you really wanted a child, and you were so supportive in the whole process, would you like to name her?” 

“Mercy Vera Cullen, that’s what I would like to call her.” Rosalie responded.

“I like that, do you Mercy?” My mother said looking down at me. 

I cooed back at her, giggling a bit, happy that she was acknowledging my existence.  She reached down to pick me up, but before she could a cry rang out. Renesmee placed her hand on Father’s face. My mind was instantly flooded with images of Mother holding Nessie and Mom feeding her; then there was an image of me in Mom’s arms and Nessie sitting in the corner all alone.  

“No baby,” My father cooed, “Your mother will always love you and be there for you.”

Mother quickly turned around to Renesmee, picking her up and holding her close to her face, “No Nessie, I would never forget about you.”

That was a very true statement. She never forgot about my sister; she forgot about me. I became independent and was given the space and time to learn most things on my own. I rarely slept at the cottage with my parents and Renesmee. I was normally left at the main house, crashing in Edward’s old room. 

Renesmee had turned my parents against me. She constantly lied, showing them images of me breaking things or pulling her hair, which my mother coveted so dearly. My parents did not understand that Renesmee could create images and then broadcast them. These images a first earned my strong harsh words from my father and mother about how my sister was someone that I should look up to. When the images didn’t change my father came to the conclusion that maybe isolation would change the way that I was acting. 

At first it was only a few hours locked in Edwards’s room, but as it continued it got so bad that Edward built me an isolation room out of an old shed that had been abandoned at the end of the property. I would stay there for days. A fridge and a hot plate were in there so that I could make food. (I couldn’t stand blood.) There was also a shower and a bed. I spent most of my time in that shack and in the land around it. I had created an escape route through one of the wooden panels that wasn’t nailed down properly. 

Outside I was freer than I had ever been. I had a few friends in the forest. A herd of deer had become friendly with me. I often went running with them. There was also a family of wild dogs, not wolves, that I played with. Two of them were larger dogs; I believed them to be some kind of Irish wolfhound mixes. There was one smaller dog that looked like a Jack Russell Terrier, and one in the middle that was so mixed that I couldn’t even begin to identify what his heritage was.  

I had been out playing in the snow with the dogs on my fifth birthday. They had tackled me to the ground in a friendly manner, and when I got back up I saw a pale woman on the cliff overlooking the clearing. We made eye contact quickly before the woman dashed away. I didn’t realize the effect that her seeing me would have on everything.