Chapter 5: Aggression

After walking in the other direction for several minutes I glanced back over my shoulder. I held a faint amount of hope that he would be following me and would apologize. However, he was not following me. I was all by myself. I frowned and decided to go find a coffee shop. I ordered a latte and sat down. Maybe this formula 1 thing wasn’t working out, maybe I should just go home. My grandfather didn’t raise a quitter though. I’m not just going to give up on my job and what I’m here for because I have to work with someone I don’t like. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw Fernando’s name on the screen.

    “Heidi where are you?” He sounded panicked.

    “I went to get coffee.” I replied nonchalantly.

    “Kimi crashed on his test lap.” My heart sank “We are on the way to the hospital now.”

    “I’ll meet you there.” I said quickly and hung up.

    A million thoughts and concerns flooded through my mind. Was he hurt? Would he be alright? Why had I been so obstinate, I could have been there for him. I rushed out of the coffee shop not even knowing where the hospital was. I frantically asked someone on the street and they pointed me in the right direction. I ran out to where my Ferrari was parked in the lot next to the track and began to drive. I found the hospital and parked my car and ran in. I pulled out my phone again and rang Fernando.

    “Where in the hospital are you?” I cried.

    “The third floor. We are in the waiting room now while the doctor examines Kimi.” Fernando’s voice was calmer than it was earlier. I was still freaking out though.

    I rushed to the lift and impatiently hit the up arrow. Finally the lift came and I stepped in. I pressed the button for the third floor. As soon as the doors opened I quickly made my way out and found the waiting room where I was Fernando, Stefano, some of the other team members as well as several drivers. I bee lined for Fernando.

    “What happened?” I was in shock and holding back tears.

    “He took corner too fast. He went over the barrier.” Fernando explained. “he should be alright though Heidi. He walked out of the car himself. I‘m sorry I didn‘t know you would get so upset.”

    “Of course I would! He is part of Ferrari team, that’s family. I thought he was hurt badly.” a few tears were now rolling down my face.

    “He is hurt, but not badly. He will be alright.” Fernando held my hand.

    I sat down in the chair next to Fernando and rested my head on his shoulder. A doctor walked into the room. He was wearing glasses and scrubs and holding a clipboard. I perked up with interest.

    “Mr. Raikkonen is doing well. He has some severe bruising an a concussion. He is sleeping right now but will be ready for visitors shortly. Two visitors at a time please.”

    “Why don’t you go in first? You and Seb can go.” Nando suggested,

    “He wouldn’t want to see me.” I shook my head.

    “Heidi, you know what the first thing Kimi said to me after he crashed?” Nando looked into my eyes.

    “What?” I asked curiously.

    “Please call Heidi”

    “Why was he worried about that? He was just in a crash. I would think he had more important things on his mind.” I frowned.

    “He said he needed to tell you he was sorry and that he needed you to be here.” Fernando said.

    “Okay.” I sighed. Honestly I was nervous about seeing Kimi. I didn’t want to see him hurt. I followed Seb to the room. Seb squeezed my hand and smiled at me as we stepped through the threshold. Kimi lay sleeping in the hospital bed hooked up to several beeping machines. I could immediately see some bad bruises and his head was bandaged. I tried to fight back tears but I knew a few were sliding down my cheeks. I sat down in the ugly green faux leather chair next to his bed. Seb leaned against the dresser. I took hold of Kimi’s hand that was hanging limp near the edge of the bed. I looked over at Seb who didn’t look like he was doing any better than me. I know it was hard for him to see his best friend in the hospital.