Chapter 21: I Promise

I stood outside the Force India garage waiting on Nico who had promised to take me to lunch. Practice one had just ended and I have managed to avoid Kimi so far and I intend to do so for as long as possible. I looked up to see a smiling Nico emerge from the garage. His racing suit he wore down around his waist.

    “You came!” he smiled.

    “Why wouldn’t I?” I hugged him.

    “Oh, no reason love.” he said “Lets go to lunch.”

    I locked arms with him and allowed him to lead me there. He took me to a small café. Where he insisted we sit outside on the patio. Finally a man who didn’t hide the fact that he was with me. I smiled as he pulled my chair out for me. He was such a gentlemen I thought. The waitress came over to us, she wore a white button up top and a very short skirt. She kept making eyes at Nico but he ignored her. She took our orders and then left defeated that Nico wouldn’t flirt back with her.

    “Its such a beautiful day.” I commented.

    “Not as beautiful as you.” He grinned “Thank you for coming out with me.”

    “Of course Nico. I’m happy you asked me.” I touched his arm.

    While we were eating a saw Nico look down at his phone. He looked troubled but quickly tried to hide it. However, I had noticed. I weighed in my mind whether to ask him about it or not.

    “What’s wrong Nico?” I asked concerned.

    “Oh, its nothing love.” He assured me.

    “Are you sure? You can tell me whatever it is.” I pressed on.

    “Yes, its nothing for you to worry about. I promise.” he smiled and I decided to let it be. I had no reason to believe Nico would lie to me. I smiled back at him to show I had accepted his answer. We enjoyed the rest of our date and Nico walked me back to my hotel room.

    “It was great spending time with you. I hope we can do this more often.” He said once we got to me door.

    “I would really like that.” I smiled, he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek before leaving. I went in my room and then laid down on my bed and began to daydream about Nico. Maybe he was the one. I’ve thought this about several men, Mark, Kimi… maybe I fall in love too easily. Or was this really even love. I sighed in frustration. Why did this all have to be so difficult. I just need a man who loves me and I love him. That should be simple right? Of course, with my life there always has to be drama and these little mind games. And the media always trying to ruin my relationships. Maybe dating a formula 1 driver wasn’t a good idea. As long as I am with one the media will always follow me, and I will always have to see Kimi. I don’t know why but I can’t stop thinking about him or caring what he thinks. Why do I care so much about what he thinks? All he does is hurt me.

    Not long after there was a knock on my door. It startled me out of my thoughts. I answered the door to see one of the hotel employees. They handed me a card and then left. I looked at the white card with elegant gold trim. After staring for a moment I finally decided to open it.

    ‘My love,

    I would be honored if you would accompany me to dinner tonight.

        Nico’

    I smiled, I was falling head over heals. I went to my luggage to find the perfect outfit. Judging from the card and manner he used to invite me I’m assuming it is a more formal dinner. I picked out a long silver beaded dress with a plunging neckline and an open back. I left my hair down but touched up the curls. I added some jewelry and threw on a pair of high heels and then I was ready. I looked out the window and saw it was getting dark. Another knock at the door startled me. I answered the door and was Nico, looking incredibly handsome in a suit. His mouth hung open and his eyes went wide when he saw me.

    “You are stunning.” He said, making me feel like I could melt right there.

    “You look quite dashing yourself Mr. Hulkenberg.” I smiled he snaked an arm around my waist and guided me down to the lobby.

    “Wait right here while I go pull the car around.” Nico said once we got to the lobby. I nodded and he kissed me on the cheek before leaving. I was on cloud nine as I waited for him to get back.

    “What are you doing?” I heard the familiar Finnish voice, I turned to see Kimi. Great, I sighed.

    “None of your business Kimi.” I crossed my arms. He looked me up and down.

    “Where are you going dressed so fancy?” he scowled.

    “If you must know, I have a date with Nico.” I said aiming to make him jealous.

    “You look beautiful.” he whispered. He looked so sad, even for the iceman. I could see it in his eyes, in his soul. And something about that made me hurt in the pits of my stomach, but I couldn’t be with him. I wouldn’t. I felt an arm wrap around my waist, clutching me tightly. Perfect timing.

    “You ready to go love?” Nico asked me giving me another kiss on the cheek. Kimi gave a look of hatred towards Nico. Nico released me and walked over to Kimi.

    “Word of advice, stay away from Heidi.” Nico growled at Kimi and then returned to me.

    “Lets go.” he smiled and escorted me out to his car.

    The restaurant he took me to was beautiful, 5 star. We had a private table. There were flowers and candles everywhere and there was a harpist in the corner playing softly. The food and wine were amazing as well. I felt on top of the world. Nico was right, he really did not how to treat a woman. He knew how to make me feel loved and special. At the end of the dinner he took me out on the terrace. The sky was so clear and full of stars.

    “Heidi,” he said clutching both of my hands in his. “Spending time with you has made me the happiest man in the world. It has made me realize something, and that is that I never want to lose you.”

    “I feel the same way Nico.” I felt like electricity was flowing through my body.

    “Heidi, I would be honored if I could call you my girlfriend.” he said looking into my eyes.

    “Of course Nico! I would love to be your girlfriend.” I smiled. He pulled out a velvet box which caused my heart to stop.

    “Don’t panic. Its not that type of ring.” he said opening the box to reveal a gold ring with a heart stamped in the center with a diamond embedded in the center of the heart. “Heidi, this is a promise ring. I want to give it to you if you promise that as long as you wear this ring. You will be with me.”

    “Yes, I promise.” I whispered as tears began flowing down my face.