Chapter 11: She still doesn't know

L I AM

11| she still doesn't know

Gabriel and I were stalking the dark alleyways of our city again. We had to hunt down 'Batman' Bruce or the boss will have our heads. I looked over at my partner.

"So he's staying at Hotel Nelson?" I asked as we crept past cars.

"Yup. According to my GPS; it should be on one of the main roads close to here." Gabriel stared down at his bright phone screen.

"You don't think it would be that one, would it?" I asked, pointing to the massive HOTEL NELSON sign.

"Yup. That's the one." My partner confirmed.

Clutching my Sturm Ruger 9mm handgun with personal modifications in my back pocket, we casually walked up to reception as if nothing was wrong.

"Hi. I was just wondering what room my friend Bruce Jones is staying in." Gabriel asked. The front desk receptionist looked at us flirtatiously.

"I'm sorry sir, but we can't give that kind of information out." She smirked. I scoffed under my breath and stepped in.

"Please. He's my brother and I need to tell him that our father is in hospital right now with stage 4 lung cancer. He might not make it..." I faked a voice crack, pretending to look distressed. The receptionist looked shocked but recovered quickly.

"I'm sorry sir but I can't confirm your identity." She batted her eyelashes. Gabriel stepped in.

"Does this change things?" He asked, pulling 2 crisp $100 notes. The receptionist, whose name badge said 'Wendy', grabbed the notes quickly and stuffed it in her back pocket.

"He's on the 23rd floor." She said. Gabriel and I looked at each other in annoyance.

"Which room?" I persisted.

"I'm not telling that to you for free." Wendy said smugly. Gabriel hitched up his hand that was in his pocket to reveal the grip of his handgun.

"My friend here asked which room." He demanded impatiently. Wendy paled at the sight of his handgun and backed away.

"R-r-r-oom 273." She stuttered. A bright smile instantly plastered Gabriel's face.

"Thanks." He said as we walked towards the elevator. I turned around to see Wendy staring at us in shock.

"You gave her $200? What were you thinking? That could've been our cigarette money." I grumbled.

"Seriously, dude? Don't you know me? Those 200 bucks I gave that chick are counterfeit notes. I ain't wasting no money here! It's a shame though, man. I would've banged her if it wasn't for her bratty ass." Gabriel grinned. I shook my head and sighed.

"No banging anybody while we're on the job." I said as we stood in front of the elevator.

As soon as the elevator doors opened, in there stood the one and only 'Batman' Bruce.

"You!" He gasped, backing away. Gabriel and I rushed into the elevator. I quickly slammed down on the 'close' button of the elevator but a businessman stuck his foot between the doors and let himself into the elevator in last minute.

"Goddamnit, I was gonna get Batman into a chokehold." Gabe muttered quietly. Bruce shuffled uncomfortable and inched towards the door but I stood in front of his path. The businessman who was in the elevator with us got off on the 20th floor and all 3 of us let out a sigh of relief.

"Bruce, buddy! You gotta kick up or the boss is gonna kick your ass." Gabriel said but I hushed him.

"Shut up, Gabe! There are security cameras here. We'll talk in Bruce's room." I whispered.