Chapter 31- the olive branch

L I A M
31| the olive branch

"Liam! Liam! Oh my god, guess what? Guess what?" Lily's squeaky voice chattered excitedly. She and James had scrambled into my room as soon as Riley left, their chubby cheeks tinged a pale red from excitement as well as the exertion of running up the stairs into my room. I smiled down at the two affectionately, ruffling their hair. James didn't seem to mind and beamed happily while Lily writhed under my hand, fixing her braids angrily.

"Hey guys, what's up?" I asked, leaping onto my bed with the twins following after me.

"We saw Riley freaking out in the car! I think she likes you!" James whispered loudly as he bounced on the hard mattress.

"Really?" I smiled.

"Yeah!" Lily chimed in. I laid on my back, smiling. Was she really freaking out over me?

Did she....

like me?

And......

did I.....

like her?

I felt my face burn up at the thought. Lily was the first to notice. "Oh my god he's blushing! HE LIKES HER TOO OH MY GOSH!!!!" She squealed. James peered at my face and started squealing too.

"Guys, stop!" I laughed in mortification, covering my face with a pillow.

I shooed the twins out of my room and began to think. A genius idea came to my mind. Once I estimated that Riley was home, I sent her a quick text.

Me:
Hey, turns out I won't be able to make it tomorrow. How about we meet at  at 7pm? Tomorrow, of course. I'll pick you up

I waited anxiously for a response

Riley:
That's fine, I'll see you then.

————————————————————
"Hi, I'd like to make a reservation for 2."
"Sorry, we've been booked out since January."
"Oh, really? That's fine. Have a nice day." I replied, before hanging up.

I was sitting on the bed with stacks of restaurant menus, restaurant guides and phone directories sprawled around me. My laptop was currently opened with 50 restaurant websites. I had been trying to make a reservation at the nice restaurant for hours but they all seemed to be booked out.

As if Riley would be impressed if I took her to McDonald's. I had to find a good restaurant, and fast.

I only had one more trick up my sleeve. I grabbed up phone and speed-dialled the boss. He picked up on the third ring.

"Liam, boy! Whoever thought it'd be you calling? Have you decided on leaving or staying?"

"Umm hey, I haven't really decided yet. I was calling to ask you for a favour." I replied meekly.

"Just say the word and you got it."

"Could I.... could I take your table at The Olive Branch tomorrow night?"

Frederick, having build a multimillion dollar mafia group had invested in several industries. Businesses came up to him, offering him money and other perks in return for the mob's protection against the chaotic streets of the city. Shops who did not go through the back street for gang protection were often raided and stolen from by more violent gangs.

Companies that offered services were threatened into providing free service for often ridiculous demands, and lives were usually the wager in the deal. Business owners who rebelled and refused to do business under the table were often never seen again, their names only leaving a faint trace the people's' minds.