38. TWO CAN PLAY THIS GAME

As I walked to the pack building, I smiled fondly at last night's memories. Andrew had told me about his ex girlfriends, how he liked them but could never bring himself to love them, because he thought his mate was just around the corner.

We laughed, and swapped stories, took some pictures. I had more fun with him after our break up than I had during our whole relationship.

Which was amusing.

Dad had already gone out early, but my mother was telling me about how he had liked mine and Kyle's ideas, and that he wants us both to meet him and the Alpha just before we went home. Till then, we were free.

So I was surprised to find Kyle standing outside, near the gate, leaning on the wall. He stood when he saw me.

"Late. What were you doing last night?"

"Sleeping." I deadpanned. I looked at him closely. The same could not be said for him. He had dark circles, and was in an even worse mood than yesterday. Suddenly an image of Kyle and Abigail, strung together in sheets, late at night, flashed through my mind.

My heartbeat dropped.

"You don't look like you slept." I finally asked, gathering courage.

"The couch isn't very comfortable." He said, as we both went inside.

I breathed out in relief, and my mind felt lighter. His mood had improved, too.

"I think I'll go to school." I told him.

"Alright." He turned, pushing his satchel onto his shoulder.

"You...are coming with?"

He shrugged nonchalantly, and then started heading back to the gate, when a little girl ran up to him. "Kyle! It's been three days."

He smiled down at her, and then crouched. "Two, I think."

"Three." She shook her head furiously.

"Fine." He laughed, and I was enamored again. "Do you want to play again?"

She nodded, and he took her hand, but when he turned to me, she turned too. Before he could say anything, she said, "You're the girl from the library!"

I nodded.

"Would you play with us?" She tilted her head.

Kyle raised an eyebrow at me, challenging me. His mood had gotten tons better.

"Thank you, honey. I don't think-"

"Why? Scared?" He kept his bag by the wall. "You know you won't win."

My nostrils flared. He was stronger and faster, sure, but I was definitely smarter. And sports required brains too. He didn't stand a chance again me. Probably.

"I will."

"We'll see." He ran up to the field, and a soccer ball flung at him, which he caught with insanely good reflexes. He turned back to me. "Come on."

I kept my bag next to his, and started to go, but was startled by a small hand tugging mine. The girl was standing there. "Heya, kiddo. What's your name?"

"Rebecca."

"Rebecca." I smiled. "Did you want to say something?"

"Jackson thinks girls can't play soccer. Kyle and other boys tell him no, but he is very big."

I frowned. "You want me to defeat him?"

She nodded.

"Which one's he?"

She pointed towards a big, burly kid with trunks for arms. He was tall, but shorter than me. He also wouldn't have lots of speed, but enough strength to send this girl hurling across a street.

"Oh, he hasn't met a lot of girls, I imagine."

She shrugged. "You'll win?"

"Yeah. We will win."

I reached the field with the girl, and Kyle looked at me, and then at her. The corners of his mouth turned up. "How do we divide the teams?"

I looked to Rebecca, but she was frowning at the boy who thinks girls can't play soccer.

"Girls vs Boys." I declared.

His eyebrows shot up. "Are you sure?" He counted the kids. "Your team is going to have one member less."

I chewed my lips. "Well..." He was staring at them. I stopped. "Well... that's okay."

He snapped out. "Right."

He turned to Rebecca, crouched down. "Is that okay with you? You won't be in my team."

She nodded excitedly. He frowned. I smirked.

"Girls!" I yelled. "Come on now!"

Four other girls, some small, some tall, some lithe, some chubby came running to me. I beamed at them. With the exception Rebecca and one other girl, the other three looked athletic, and hardened to kick ass. I wondered why was Jackson being such a douche.

"You are our captain?" The tallest girl asked. She was just a few inches shorter than me, but looked around thirteen. She was several shades darker than me, and her skin was flawless. I made a mental note to ask her skincare routine later.

"Yeah."

"I don't want to sound rude... but..."

"I have experience playing soccer. I am pretty good with it." That wasn't a lie. Since childhood, soccer had been one sport that I was actually into. I stopped playing it in high school, though- Lee didn't like it, and other kids avoided me.

I did go running four times a week, and my aim wasn't so bad. I think I could do something.

"But, I can't do everything alone. How many times have you won against the boys?"

"We don't usually divide the teams that way. They get more people." The chubby girl with red hair and tanned skin said.

"Well, who is the best player here?" I asked.

"Martha is." She pointed to the dark-skinner, tall girl.

"That's great. Alright tell me what you are best at, and I will tell you what to do?"

Two minutes must have passed when another girl with green eyes, and brown hair spoke up. She had blue nail paint on, and her hair was 'carefully' styled, ie, her hair was a deliberate mess but no one was going to point it to her. She was about twelve, maybe?

"Are you his girlfriend?"

"What?"

"Are you Kyle's girlfriend? He doesn't bring any other girls to play, even if they come to meet him." Her chin was up, eyes narrow and haughty.

Was I?

Of course, not. What the hell was I thinking?

"No."

"He hasn't stopped looking at you."

Goddess, small girls have eagle eyes. "Must be... trying to know what's going on here." I took a deep breath; it wouldn't do good to get distracted. "What are you good at...?"

"Miley. And, running."

I smiled. Perfect.

_______________________________________________
In the media box, you'll find, 'Without You by Oh Wonder.' This is probably the first song that I am reusing in this book lol. But I love it a lot, and it goes well both times so here we are!

Stay tuned, good things are going to happen. Finally.

K R Y S T L E