64. A LITTLE TOO LATE

KYLE

The car was not in the parking lot and I couldn't sense her inside. I still knocked on the door, cursing myself.

Her mother opened the door, and her smile dropped a little when she looked at me. I want to say I didn't care but I did, at least a little. Not everyone's opinion mattered to me, but I really didn't want her mother thinking the worst of me.

Maybe shouldn't have bullied her daughter for years, then. But I do the dumbest shit sometimes. For years at ends.

"Hello, Kyle."

"Hey, Mrs Avans. Kaea here?"

She bit her lip. "No. She... went." Her features strained. "To her college." The words sounded bitter in her mouth.

"Which college? If you could tell me." I asked, more hopefully than I had a right to.

She looked at me up and down. Then, at my car. Then, up at the sky. When she looked back at me, her mouth was down-turned in disappointment. "I wish...I wish I could tell you, Kyle. I will see you later."

And then slowly she closed the door at my face.

What the fuck?

I ringed the bell again, but no one opened the door. If she wouldn't tell me, I would figure it out myself. I looked at my phone, and then dialled.

Kaea didn't pick up. No surprise there.

I dialled Abigail, who picked up on the second ring. I hadn't seen her since last night, and had wondered where she was, but I had better things to worry about. Calling her in the morning was not my favourite thing- she was fucking terrible in the mornings.

"Hey." I couldn't hear a trace of anger in her voice. I looked at my phone again, checking the number.

"Abigail?" I asked tentatively. I was still not sure.

"Yes, Kyle. Is there something you want?" Her voice had grown a little serious, and yeah... I didn't have time to sort through her psychology right now.

"Do you have Lee's number?"

"Why do you not have it? Shouldn't you have all your girlfriend's friends' numbers?"

I gritted my teeth. There was the snarky Abigail that I wasn't a big fan of, to put it mildly. "Do you?" I asked, my voice going deeper.

She sighed. "Yes, I will send it to you." She hung up, and my phone beeped a few seconds later. I leaned against my car, looking up at the house.

I dialled Lee. It was like 7 in the morning but common etiquettes were not exactly going to stopping me.

"Hello? Who is this?" Annoyed and sleepy.

"Kyle."

"What the fuck do you want?"

"I really hate your holier-than-thou attitude." I told her.

"Alright then, I am hanging up."

"Wait!" I pressed the bridge of my nose. Abigail was disrespectful sometimes, which I did mostly tolerate because she was a friend. I wasn't exactly sure where the balance was or where to hit it, but if Kaea had taught me one thing- these things are supposed to be earned, not demanded.

"Could you tell me which college is Kaea going to?"

Silence. "Oh, so you know how to ask."

I tried to keep my annoyance in check. "Please." I gritted out.

"Wow. Never thought I'd hear the great Kyle Kovich say 'please'. But no, I cannot help you. She didn't want you to know for a reason."

"Sooner or later, I'd know anyway."

"Not today, though." And, she hung up. Great.

Should I visit Lee? Force her to tell me? I could blackmail her, but that wouldn't be right. I could pester her- I was really good at getting under people's skin when I wanted to.

That would probably make me loose all good points I had gained with Kaea.

I called Andrew, not liking this at all. He picked up on three rings. "Hey, Kyle."

Someone scoffed from near him. I frowned, I had heard that sound before. But, it wasn't Kaea- I could tell. Was he cheating on her?

"Who is the woman?" I asked.

"Oh...umm... My..." A very long pause ensued. "...girlfriend."

"Kaea?!" I growled.

"No! No. Why would you think that? She broke up with me months ago," he chuckled, "Thanks to you, actually."

That made no sense. But I was glad to believe it for now; plus, I had called him for something else.

"I have a favour to ask." I asked, my voice tight.

"Sure." He asked, his voice more content than I had heard in a long time.

"Do you have any idea..." It would drive me right to the edge to know Andrew knew. "Do you know what college Kaea is planning to go to?"

"She wants to go to a college?" He sounded as confused as I felt.

"Yeah. Never mind. Thanks." I hung up, for once, on someone else.

As much as I wanted to go and drive through every college in the state, that was not feasible.

I looked back at the house again. I had thrown stones on her windows once as I had tried to throw eggs at her. I felt a flare of anger and hatred towards myself. Kaea deserved better than me. I knew that. She knew that. Everybody knew that.

I guess I was disillusioning myself to think that I could be the better. But until I had lost, I couldn't stop trying. I had tried to give her up, even when I had not been in love with her. Even before I had discovered she was my mate.

I had failed. And now? It was even more impossible.

I rung the house-bell again. A very tired looking Mrs Avans opened it. "Kyle, I told you-"

"Do you mind me sitting on these stairs?"

She stared at me. "I...No, I think."

I nodded and sat down, my back against the wall for support. A couple minuted later, the door closed.

I called her again and again and again.

___________________________________________
Finally, finally, Kyle does one actually right thing but of course, too late.

I love you guys so much! I have been very crappy with my updates lately so I thought I should at least make up for it.

In the media box, you'll find, "idfc by blackbear".

K R Y S T L E