Seven

Carmen

I stare into my reflection and I use a makeup brush to carefully put on dior blush. Music plays from my phone in the background.

Every time I sit on this vanity I like to pretend that I'm getting ready for a red carpet event.

It's an antique looking vanity that's painted a soft cream white with a light pink ottoman for the seat.

All my makeup products are neatly placed in front of me.

I'm looking at myself in the mirror and delicately putting on mascara, but my mind is far away.

I imagine myself wearing a crisp uniform, standing at the podium, some idiot on the opposing side thinking they're about to embarrass me in front of everyone.

The music playing is in the background of my imagination.

Flashes of me arguing and then holding that trophy are in my thoughts. A proud look on my mother's face in the crowd.

"Where does your mom keep her alcohol-" Zara pauses as she walks into my room.

I tilt my head. "When did you get here?"

She walks over to my bed and sits down, petting Amy who sits like a loaf at the end of the mattress. "Like twenty minutes ago, been talking to your mom except she's leaving to the store now."

I go back to doing my makeup.

"What are you doing? Are you going somewhere?"

"No," I shrug. "I'm practicing how I'm gonna do my makeup for the debate competition."

She groans and falls back on the bed. "Please take your mind off that fucking club for five minutes."

I stare into the mirror as I take in her words before jumping in my seat. "Oh! You're right! I just remembered I told myself I'd read up to page 100 of the new Criminal Justice book ma lent me-" I scramble over to my dresser and start grabbing the textbook. Where the hell did I leave my highlighters?

Zara grabs my hands and spins me towards her. "Do. Not. Touch. The. Book."

I purse my lips as I stare at her. "But-"

"No," she rebuts. "No studying. It's Friday night."

I continue to stare at her unmoving before a tiny smile begins to pull at my lips. "So what I'm hearing is that you want to put on cute pajamas, bake cookies, and watch a documentary?"

Zara sighs and drops her head. "How about we go out?"

"To where?"

Her lip ticks up. "How about you just go get dressed up and let me drive the car."

Romero

I watch the breath leave my mouth from the cold air as I follow next to James. The others walk in front of us.

"So we sellin' about six hundred worth in coke to these druggies. Between the four us we splitting it evenly. You only get 100 though cause you only here for extra hands and 'cause you've been ditching us for fuckin' months." James pulls out a little bag of power and shakes it.

Coke is sold here for about thirty per a quarter gram. I don't know what these guys are doing with six hundred dollars worth of coke, but that's not my issue. I just want to get the money and leave as quick as I can.