Twenty one

Carmen

"Okay but like," Chanel picks up a pair of Chanel heels and holds them in front of her. "Grey or black?"

I aimlessly look through the rack of cashmere sweaters and glance over. "Black. Definitely black."

You can never go wrong with a sleek black heel.

We got out of a school a while ago and agreed to go shopping right after on main street.

Which is why I'm wearing a pair of black block heel ballet pump with white socks, plaid skirt, white button up with a black polo sweater over it.

I love heels, but I would be lying if I said my feet aren't starting to hurt just a bit.

Zara saunters up to me behind the rack, sipping and biting the straw of her iced coffee.

"Are you gonna buy something?" she asks.

I shrug. "Nothing is really catching my eye."

She hums. "Well I think you're just looking in the wrong section." Her hand latches onto my arm and starts pulling back away from the sweater rack and towards the back of the store.

My eyebrows lift slightly as I follow her, intrigued.

She pulls me around a corner and once we make the turn my eyes widen.

Wow.

The tables and racks are lined with soft colored clothing. Lots. And lots. Of pink.

This is my dream closet.

I say nothing as I walk over to the rack of pink sweaters in different shades.

"This section suits you more," Zara adds as she saunters past me, looking over the clothes.

My fingers run over the different materials.

I want to buy all of it.

Including all of these cute pink blouses folded on the table.

"You should buy some stuff, these clothes match your true girly girl style more," Zara declares, crossing her arms over her chest and sipping her coffee.

My eyes glance to the pretty burberry pink scarfs and hats.

I gnaw on the inside of my cheek and purse my lips, placing a sweater back on the rack. "I would never get the chance to ever wear this stuff though, so there's not really any point." But damn does it really appeal to my eyes. Soul even.

Zara scoffs. "And why is that?"

My eyes dart to her. "You know how much I'll get laughed at if I get caught dressed looking like a doll. I dared to wear pink barrettes and a matching sweater vest in ninth grade and we know how that turned out," I whisper yell.

It was the first day of school, and also the first high school debate club meeting.

In class I could feel a few guys staring at me and I heard a snarky comment or two, but I didn't let it effect me that much.