Fifty six

Carmen
September 31st

"Did you like your birthday gift?" Ma asks as she walks over and sits on my bed.

I place my debate notes down my lap and smile at her. "Yes. I'll definitely be putting those cute pink headbands and Chanel bag to use. Thank you ma."

She smiles and leans in and kisses my forehead. "You've been working on your debate team work all evening since Zara went home, put it down already."

I jokingly roll my eyes. "Ma. Please. It's Thursday night, I'm wearing my favorite pink nightgown, I have a autumn candle and my pink stamp-lamp on, and I'm collecting information in my pretty pink notebook with a fluffy pink pen with my emotional support rabbit next to me. I'm having a fabulous night."

She chuckles and stands up. "You're right. You're right. I'll leave you to it."

As she walks towards the door she looks back to me. "You sure you don't want some of the cinnamon cookies I just made?" she asks with a convincing smile.

I lift my eyebrow. "Cinnamon cookies?"

She nods and starts out the door. "Come get some before your dad takes them all!"

I shove my work off my lap and scramble to put on my slippers and scramble after her.

"Wait! Pa don't eat them all!" I yell as I run down the steps. It's my nineteenth birthday, I deserve a little bit of a cookie.

As I turn the corner to go into the living room, I pause and my brain freezes.

He sits on the couch. His full entirety. Is sitting. On my couch. He's wearing a hoodie, black plaid pajama pants, and slippers. His stud earrings and nose stud are back in. And he sits leaning his elbows on his knees and a small familiar box in his hands.

When his eyes look up and meet mine, his mouth goes slightly ajar and he stills.

Oh my god.

You. You're here.

What.

Huh.

Romero.

That beautiful shy nervous smile of his pulls onto his lips as he stands up and walks towards me. "Happy birthday baby." His big arms pulls me against him in a hug.

I still stand frozen, but I lift my hand to my mouth as I begin to cry. My free hand wraps around him and I try to bury my face in his hoodie.

I feel confused and like I'm dreaming.

I'm scared that I am dreaming.

Lifting my hands, I wrap them around his neck and his arms move to wrap tightly around my waist.

He stands up a bit straighter and my feet completely lift off the floor.

Oh my god he's here. He's here he's here he's here.

I wrap my legs around his waist. "Oh my god you're hereeee," I cry. Leaning back, I look at the small box in his hands. "And you brought me coxhina," I cry.